none
Localization in release mode for Windows Phone 8.1 only works if device has the language installed

Question

• When I try to deploy a Windows Phone 8.1 application to my device via the Store option from Visual Studio, only the languages which are installed on the phone can be chosen.

For example, if my app supports English, Spanish and German, and only English and German are installed on my phone, the app will only support English and German, and not Spanish.

Is this the expected behavior? Is there any workaround for this?

In debug mode, all languages are supported, regardless of which language is installed on the device.

Is this normal, and how Microsoft intended it to be?

Thursday, August 4, 2016 8:31 AM

All replies

• I'm fairly sure the behavior you're seeing is what's expected. When you upload your app to the Store, "language packs" are created for all of the languages that you've created resources for. Then, when a client downloads an app to their local device, the Store only sends down the language packs that are on the client machine. So in your example, the Spanish language pack was never downloaded to the device since the OS never requested it.

Thankfully, there is a very simple workaround. In the packaging wizard in Visual Studio, there is a dropdown with a label that says "Generate App Bundle:" which defaults to Always. If you switch that command to "Never", the AppX created will contain all of the resources in one entity and if you upload that to the store, it should have all your resources in one place.

Hope this takes care of your problem.

--Dante

Wednesday, August 10, 2016 7:54 PM