none
Updating “Accessing Data in Visual Studio” RRS feed

• General discussion

• I am the content lead that is responsible, among other areas, for the ProTools data features in Visual Studio. I am referring specifically to the content that can be found under the “Accessing Data in Visual Studio” node in the MSDN Library (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/wzabh8c4.aspx ).

I took over as the lead for this content area a few months ago and, while addressing bits of customer feedback, I’ve come to realize that the content could stand to be significantly updated to make it more task-centric, more focused on end-to-end scenarios, and generally better at showing people how to use the data-related features of Visual Studio.

Towards that end, I wanted to solicit input from you, the community, to identify what you feel are the most common combinations of technology and most common tasks that are challenging to complete successfully.  All feedback is welcome. I inherited the content, and don’t have a significant emotional investment, so you won’t hurt my feelings if you say “the content about X is terrible!”

The first steps to providing better content is to make sure that we understand what problems you are all facing on a regular basis, and then figure out how we can best provide the content to help. You can reply to this thread, or you can email me directly at: stevenpo@microsoft.com.

I was previously the writer responsible for the “Data Dude” features of Visual Studio, so my focus had been more on database design and maintenance and less on the application code. I'll post this here in ADO.NET Managed Providers, but I'll also link to this thread in the WCF Data Servies and ADO.NET DataSet forums.

Thanks in advance for your input and feedback.

-Steven Powell,

Senior Content Lead for Visual Studio “BizApps” (This includes LightSwitch, Visual Studio Tools for Office, SharePoint Development in Visual Studio, VS Pro Tools for Data, Class Designer, and the features formerly known as “Data Dude”).

Steven Powell (MSFT), Programming Writer
    Thursday, May 12, 2011 8:46 PM

All replies

• I am the content lead that is responsible, among other areas, for the ProTools data features in Visual Studio. I am referring specifically to the content that can be found under the “Accessing Data in Visual Studio” node in the MSDN Library (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/wzabh8c4.aspx ).

I took over as the lead for this content area a few months ago and, while addressing bits of customer feedback, I’ve come to realize that the content could stand to be significantly updated to make it more task-centric, more focused on end-to-end scenarios, and generally better at showing people how to use the data-related features of Visual Studio.

Towards that end, I wanted to solicit input from you, the community, to identify what you feel are the most common combinations of technology and most common tasks that are challenging to complete successfully.  All feedback is welcome. I inherited the content, and don’t have a significant emotional investment, so you won’t hurt my feelings if you say “the content about X is terrible!”

The first steps to providing better content is to make sure that we understand what problems you are all facing on a regular basis, and then figure out how we can best provide the content to help. You can reply to this thread, or you can email me directly at: stevenpo@microsoft.com.

I was previously the writer responsible for the “Data Dude” features of Visual Studio, so my focus had been more on database design and maintenance and less on the application code.

Thanks in advance for your input and feedback.

-Steven Powell,

Senior Content Lead for Visual Studio “BizApps” (This includes LightSwitch, Visual Studio Tools for Office, SharePoint Development in Visual Studio, VS Pro Tools for Data, Class Designer, and the features formerly known as “Data Dude”).

Steven Powell (MSFT), Programming Writer
    Thursday, May 12, 2011 8:48 PM