How to install Developer edition SQL Server 2016 via Configuration file RRS feed

• Question

• I'm building a repeatable installation of SQL Server 2016 RC2 via configuration file but I don't see where the configuration file stores the intention to install Developer edition?

The config's in the file mirror that of the command prompt setup where one can specify a PID option - but that is a product key - ie: something like "ADFS-SFDSG-234234-453453".

If no PID is specified then the docs state that "If this parameter is not specified, Evaluation is used."

Developer edition is under the "Specify a free edition" heading in the UI and doesn't appear to have a PID?

My config file looks like this

[OPTIONS]
    ACTION="Install"
    IACCEPTSQLSERVERLICENSETERMS="TRUE"
    FEATURES="SQLENGINE"
    INSTANCENAME="MSSQLSERVER"
    INSTALLSQLDATADIR="D:\Data\Sql"
    SQLSVCACCOUNT="NT Service\MSSQLSERVER"
    SQLSYSADMINACCOUNTS="MYPC\codeJockey"

How do I specify Developer edition for a command prompt/configuration file install?

Saturday, April 9, 2016 11:02 PM

Answers

• Hi Code,

Regarding to this issue, I would recommend you submit a feedback to the Microsoft Connect at this link https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/Feedback. Your feedback enables Microsoft to offer the best software and deliver superior services.

Thanks,
    Lydia Zhang

Lydia Zhang
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by code jockey2 Monday, April 11, 2016 12:53 PM
    Monday, April 11, 2016 11:06 AM

All replies

• Hello,

When you purchase the SQL Server Developer Edition, then you get also a product key (PID), either embedded in the download media or per mail.

And the installation via config file works for all editions the same way, also for the Developer Edition.

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Sunday, April 10, 2016 9:13 AM
  • But you won't be able to purchase Developer edition because it will be free, hence no PID

The UI appears to back this up: The way to select developer edition is under the free edition options:

(*) Specify a free edition

[Evaluation]

[Developer]

[Express]

There is no opportunity to select developer and enter a product key.

MSDN subscriber downloads specifies the download as "No product key required"

Sunday, April 10, 2016 11:44 AM
  • Hi code,

Based on my testing, when I select “Developer” in the above page and go ahead to generate a ConfigurationFile.ini file, it will also install SQL Server 2016 Evaluation edition when I use the ConfigurationFile.ini file which is pre-setting to install Developer edition.

Therefore, we can only install SQL Server 2016 Developer edition via GUI currently.

Thanks,
    Lydia Zhang

Lydia Zhang

Monday, April 11, 2016 9:38 AM
  • Thanks Lydia - yes this is what I observe too. It rather limits the usefulness of the configuration file setup which is unfortunate.

Will this be added onto a list for fixing or should I raise a connect ticket?

Monday, April 11, 2016 9:59 AM
  • Hi Code,

Regarding to this issue, I would recommend you submit a feedback to the Microsoft Connect at this link https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/Feedback. Your feedback enables Microsoft to offer the best software and deliver superior services.

Thanks,
    Lydia Zhang

Lydia Zhang

• Marked as answer by code jockey2 Monday, April 11, 2016 12:53 PM
    Monday, April 11, 2016 11:06 AM
  • done - thank you

https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/details/2576662/specify-developer-edition-from-command-line-parameter-or-configuration-file-install

Monday, April 11, 2016 12:53 PM