Expression Blend Vs Visual Studio/Silvelight RRS feed

• Question

• hey all,

As I was going through the tutorials, I hae found that both expression blend and silverlight has been extensively used for windows phone development. How good is Expression blend for coding? Can a whole app be designed and coded using Expression blend??

If not, for what all purposes or till what extend the Blend should be used and when do we need to shilf to Silverlight? Will the binding of the UI elements created in Blend to the code we write in Silverlight be automatically taken care???

Thankyou

Alfahisham
    Friday, September 23, 2011 9:20 AM

All replies

• Expression Blend can be (and is) used to develop larger applications. At some point it comes down to user preference. I find that if I'm developing a program with a user interface, be it a phone or desktop application, my user interfaces are cleaner, have fewer errors, and are generally much easier to work with if I develop the UI in Blend as opposed to another tool. I personally create my UIs in Blend and switch over to use Visual Studio for any code-behind that needs to be done.

That being said, there are certainly people who prefer to create their applications completely manually and will use Visual Studio (or their development IDE of choice) to create perfectly good applications that way as well. It's really about using whatever tools you find make your development more efficient and enjoyable. For me, that's a mix of Blend and VS.

Friday, September 23, 2011 12:49 PM
  • I'll second Brian's answer here. Blend and VS are meant to work together as seamlessly as possible. You should be able to do all of the UI tasks in Blend, and then do any of the heavier coding in VS. Each have their strengths.
    Friday, September 23, 2011 4:08 PM