SQL Server Setup failed to retrieve the SSL Certificate Name RRS feed

• Question

•  When I try to install SQL 2005 Developer September CTP on Windows XP Professional  it returns an error "SQL Server Setup failed to
    retrieve the SSL Certificate Name"
    I was using a certificate from SelfSSL but removed it. Still no luck?

This appears to be an issue with SQL Reporting Services. If I don't install Reporting Services then I can install SQL 2005. I'm guessing that Reporting Services is now requiring a certificate and doesn't like the SelfSSL certificates? Any ideas?
    Monday, September 19, 2005 10:31 AM

Answers

• When you have a certificate installed, the second step of the Web Server Certificate Wizard (at "[Default]Web Site>>Properties>>Directory Security>>Server Certificate...") should show "Remove Certificate" as an option. When I selected this option and removed my SelfSSL created certificate, the SQL 2005 installation ran successfully.
    Saturday, November 5, 2005 9:04 PM
  • Chris,

IIS still thinks it has a certificate when it really doesn't. Clean up the certificate by going to IIS Manager and removing the certificate from IIS. We you rerun setup it should succeeded.

Dan
    http://blogs.msdn.com/dtjones/
    Tuesday, November 1, 2005 4:31 PM

All replies

• I am having the same problem with a Windows Server 2003 installation.  In the past setups, Reporting Services would just warn you if you did not have an SSL certificate installed to support Reporting Services over SSL.  So now is it just crashing instead?  Guess we should be glad this one wasn't the RTM!   :op

Any workarounds, anybody?

Thanks,
    Chris
    Wednesday, September 21, 2005 11:33 PM
  • I got the same error as well.  Selfssl had been previously used to install a cert with IIS for ssl testing.  I removed the cert from iis and reporting services installed fine.

Good luck

Jay Skelly
    Microsoft Regional Director
    Tuesday, October 4, 2005 9:33 PM
  • I had SSL Certificates working with the April CTP, did not try with June, and got this same error with September.  We resolved to defer SSL until RTM; but this is RTM and it's here, so we're looking for a fix.  It is not acceptable to deploy reporting services without SSL.

I will go to beta place in a bit and report it as a bug; but if anyone else has the solution now, please feel free to respond.
    Tuesday, November 1, 2005 12:20 AM
  • Chris,

IIS still thinks it has a certificate when it really doesn't. Clean up the certificate by going to IIS Manager and removing the certificate from IIS. We you rerun setup it should succeeded.

Dan
    http://blogs.msdn.com/dtjones/
    Tuesday, November 1, 2005 4:31 PM
  • The certificate is one issued by executing selfSSL.exe in the IIS toolkit.  There is no problem running setup with no certificate; but we must have SSL.  BTW, there does not appear to be any way in the IIS Manager to remove a certificate: create, assign, import, move and Edit are the only options.  selfSSL doesn't have the option either.  The certificate generated by the toolkit worked with April, so it's not like it just won't work; but this does not appear to be a solution.
    Tuesday, November 1, 2005 5:24 PM
  • When you have a certificate installed, the second step of the Web Server Certificate Wizard (at "[Default]Web Site>>Properties>>Directory Security>>Server Certificate...") should show "Remove Certificate" as an option. When I selected this option and removed my SelfSSL created certificate, the SQL 2005 installation ran successfully.
    Saturday, November 5, 2005 9:04 PM
  •  

This worked fine!

Thanks again Microsoft and members!

Thursday, May 4, 2006 2:06 PM
  • Wait just one minute...am I missing something?  Removing the cert fixes the install problem...but now there is no ssl installed.  I need both!

When I install a new certificate using self ssl - reporting services will no longer operate.

So, how can I run both SSL and reporting services on my development machine...no one is answering that question.

Sunday, July 30, 2006 4:51 PM
  • Back again.  Here is the info I was looking for - the problem is explained and resolved here:

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/drussell/sslcertificatesonsqlserver2005forreportingservices.asp

Saturday, October 28, 2006 12:17 AM
  • Hi Everyone!

Ok, i never installed that SelfSSL tool and I am running into that exact same error.

I got SQL installed, without the Reporting tool, so how do I install the reporting portion of

SQL 05??

Thanks!

Thomas

Wednesday, November 8, 2006 7:33 AM
  • It's not necessarily having selfssl installed, this problem will occur if you have any ssl certificate applied to your web server.

Look in IIS admin, right mouse click on site, click properties, click Directory Security and check to see if there is an SSL cert assigned to the web site.  If so, remove it (you can add it back later using the information from the link I posted).

If you don't have an SSL cert installed, then the issue is most likely not related to this post.  You may need to provide more information.

Wednesday, November 8, 2006 3:46 PM
  • Thx, it goes smoothly now
    Monday, November 27, 2006 9:31 AM
  • Dan, your solution worked.  I removed an old certificate I had in my IIS and re-ran the SQL Server 2005 setup.exe and it worked.  Thanks.

Monday, June 16, 2008 6:37 PM
  • William this realy works thanks.
    Wednesday, July 30, 2008 3:36 PM
  • I also recently ran into this issue. Removing the SSL cert from IIS solved my problem. Thanks for posting this solution!
    Thursday, September 11, 2008 4:47 PM
  • hello all.. It is not enough for the decision of this problem just remove SSLcert... i use Win2k8/SQL2005 and for me it needed to remove 443port from IIS7.0 too. GL BB

• Proposed as answer by NinjaNuN Wednesday, May 6, 2009 2:25 PM
    Thursday, October 2, 2008 5:30 PM
  • hello all.. It is not enough for the decision of this problem just remove SSLcert... i use Win2k8/SQL2005 and for me it needed to remove 443port from IIS7.0 too. GL BB

Some thing never gets old ! 

@AndreyGo Thanks a bunch ! saved me a LOT of time.
    Wednesday, May 6, 2009 2:24 PM
  • Hi,

I removed the certificate but I could still see the message "sql server setup failed to retrieve the ssl certificate name." while instaling SSRS 2005 in a Win2003 R2 server.

Do I have to stop the SSL HTTPS service before the instalation ?

Thanks !

Monday, December 6, 2010 4:28 AM
  • Here is the Microsoft article that talks about the bug:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929589

• Proposed as answer by Flea_ Tuesday, February 15, 2011 2:41 PM
    Tuesday, February 15, 2011 2:41 PM