none
It's possible create a custom treeview/store in the left panel (Stores panel)? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

I'm developing a new add-in for outlook and I need to create a way to show a treeview in the left panel.
    The idea of this add-in is to show a treeview in the same place that the Stores (including switch the position up / down between the Stores). Every time I close/start the Outlook, this treeview must be rebuild.

I've seen some add-ins that have something similar, but I couldn't figure out how to.

The image shows what I'm saying. When a user clicks on one of the "My Custom Folder" the add-in needs to show the "custom view" for that folder.

Can this be done?

Thanks,
    Mateus.

Wednesday, January 25, 2017 4:48 PM

All replies

• Hello Mateus,

There are several ways to achieve the goal:

1. You can use SolutionsModule for creating your own hive in the navigation pane in Outlook:

The Solutions navigation module contains folders that developers of individual add-ins want to expose to users in the Navigation Pane. Each solution has one root folder under the Solutions module, and each root folder can contain subfolders that hold heterogeneous Outlook items.

See the article Programming the Outlook 2010 Solutions Module on MSDN for more information.

2. Embed your custom form into Outlook UI. For example, Add-in Express provides the BottomNavigationPane layout which looks like that:

You may consider using Windows API functions for injecting your own forms. See Creating Adjacent Windows In Outlook .

3. Develop your own store provider using a low-level code - Extended MAPI. That's the most complicated way which requires a good understanding of C++ and low level programming.

profile for Eugene Astafiev at Stack Overflow, Q&A for professional and enthusiast programmers

Wednesday, January 25, 2017 5:32 PM