WinJS project: mark additional configurations as Debug-configurations

Question

• In our solution, we have both a WinJS project and a WinRT component project. The component only has the configurations 'Debug' and 'Release' but the WinJS project also has a 'Tests' configuration.

When choosing 'Tests' for the WinJS project and 'Debug' for the component, the build fails with the error message

APPX1609: The package contains a Debug framework reference 'Name = Microsoft.VCLibs.110.Debug, MinVersion = 11.0.0.0'. Ensure all framework references in the package are valid frameworks hosted by the Store.

Setting the configuration of the WinRT component to 'Release' makes this go away, but of course we would like to debug in case an error occurs while running our test suite. Is there any way to mark the 'Tests' configuration in the WinJS project as a Debug-configuration, too? Or otherwise make it clear that this configuration (same as the Debug configuration) will and should never ever go into the store so the build job stops complaining and we debug the native code?

Thursday, March 29, 2012 3:02 PM

Answers

• I saw that you were able to workaround this by setting the WinRT component to Release. To use the debug version of the CRT, you can rename your Tests configuration to contain the string "debug" in the configuration name. For example, "Tests-debug". This would bypass the check and allow you to debug in your test suite.

As mentioned, this is a known bug that will be fixed in the next release.

Hope this helps.

Monday, April 16, 2012 6:23 PM

All replies

• Hi Marcus,

This is a known issue with custom configuration that we have been looking to fix in the next public release. By custom configuration, I mean anything aside from Release or Debug. From the build error, it sounds like you have either associated the app with the Windows Store or built a package for the Windows Store. Do you see a package.storeassociation.xml file in your project? If so, deleting this file will workaround this build error while you're debugging.

Can you give this a try?

Saturday, March 31, 2012 1:08 AM
  • Hi Candy,

sorry for taking so long to reply. I finally managed to try if it works to debug after deleting the storeassociation.xml file, but unfortunately that didn't help. So far we were able to work around it but of course a real solution to this problem would be really welcomed :)

All the best

Marcus

Monday, April 16, 2012 1:40 PM
  • I saw that you were able to workaround this by setting the WinRT component to Release. To use the debug version of the CRT, you can rename your Tests configuration to contain the string "debug" in the configuration name. For example, "Tests-debug". This would bypass the check and allow you to debug in your test suite.

As mentioned, this is a known bug that will be fixed in the next release.

Hope this helps.

Monday, April 16, 2012 6:23 PM
  • Thanks for the tip, I'm sure it may come in handy when debugging specific functionality in the future!
    Tuesday, April 17, 2012 8:28 AM