none
Server 2008 R2 hangs on boot after backup RRS feed

• Question

• (I could not find a straight Windows Server 2008 forum, I hope this forum is correct)

After mounting an external USB drive, and copying the contents of one drive onto the USB external, the system had some error, and took more than a day to cycle through reboots before it came up.  Then after a shutdown, the reboot would take about 6 hours.

C:\Windows\System32\config\SYSTEM is only 8,448kb and SOFTWARE is only 31,232kb, so I assume I do not have the orphaned device problem. 

Another strangeness is that no updates have been installed.  Windows Update reports a check for updates, and that no updates are available, which I find unlikely.  Last install of updates is "never".  I don't seem to be able to locate and install updates for this server software. 

The disk access light is on continuously. 

The server is a single processor Zeon (3.4ghz), 64bit, 2gb of memory, Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard, service pack 1, 64bit.  I am using Microsoft software RAID, set up in disk manager, mirroring the only volume.

Is this a bug in the OS?  If so, is there a fix?  What are my repair options?

This server is unreliable, I wonder if I should go back to Server 2003, which does not have this bug.  Or maybe the 32bit version of 2008?  I lost three days of work due to this server problem, all because I wanted a backup.  I'm thinking a Linux server might be a better solution for a pure file server.  Thoughts?

Thanks much for your assistance,

GB

Saturday, January 4, 2014 5:30 PM