(local) vs. server name registration RRS feed

• Question

• I just noticed something.  I have been having trouble connecting to my database period.  It was working fine before.

I tried to use (local) on my server instead of the server's name when troubleshooting and found that after I am able to connect to (local), the database I created doesn't exist.  But if I try to connect using the servername, I can connect partially, meaning I am able to see the list of databases, and the one I created then shows up but can't open it and get all these errors.

I am wondering why if this is the same machine, why is my database name only showing up in the non (local) registration?

This is on a MS Virtual Server running SQL Server Enterprise 2005 and Windows 2003 Server

Also, I tried running export on my database since it failed when I tried to back it up and got this error:

TITLE: SQL Server Import and Export Wizard
    ------------------------------

The operation could not be completed.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

Communication link failure
    TCP Provider: The specified network name is no longer available. (Microsoft SQL Native Client)

BUTTONS:

OK

I am remoted into this server using the servername as we speak so I don't get why it would produce this error in SQL Server.  Obviously the network name of my server must be working fine.

Thursday, December 22, 2005 2:49 PM