none
help with a basic question...moving my VS2015 to a different computer

Question

• I use VS 2015 Community as a student....I just got a new laptop (yay!) that is much better equipt to handle VS (more RAM etc)  What do I have to do (step by step would be awesome) to move my student Dreamspark account and VS 2015 software to my new computer?
    Thursday, March 17, 2016 10:37 PM

Answers

All replies

• P.S.  I realize the answers regarding the licensing and how many computers I can load it onto as a free to students user of VS Community are somewhere in the stuff I agreed to when I downloaded VS, but I thought it might save a lot of time to ask here instead...thank you in advance.  I just read my question and thought I should be more specific:  Can I just log onto dreamspark and download another VS2015 to my new computer or do I only get one copy (and have to remove it from the old one first? 
    Thursday, March 17, 2016 10:43 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your post.

I suggest you could install the VS2015 Community Update1 in the following site directly. It's a free version of VS, you only need to register a Microsoft account and sign in it, then you can use VS2015 in different machines lifelong.

https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/downloads/download-visual-studio-vs.aspx

So you can download the VS2015 to your new computer directly.

Best Regards,

Lake Xiao

Friday, March 18, 2016 6:22 AM