none
Formula Calculations not Calculating Automatically RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, this is my first time in the forum. I have been working on a MS Project 2013 project plan that I use a calculation for current date for a custom status field. The problem I am seeing is that when I open the project plan the current date calculation does not update to the current date. Even when the plan is previously saved the update is not made.  The formula I am using is:

Current DT (Date5) = ProjDateConv(Date(),pjDate_mm_dd_yy)

When I open the formula and click OK it will update the date to the current date.  What I would like to do is have the formula run whenever you open the saved file.  Is there a setting that I need to check to make this happen?

Thanks in advance for you help.

Mike

Friday, April 14, 2017 3:41 PM

All replies

• Is your calculation mode set to Automatic?

File >> Options >> Schedule >> Calculation

Cheers,

Prasanna Adavi, Project MVP

Blog:   Podcast:    Twitter:    LinkedIn:   

Friday, April 14, 2017 3:47 PM
  • Prasanna - The setting appears to be set. Calculate project after each edit is set to On

Thanks

Friday, April 14, 2017 6:05 PM
  • Hi Mike,

What about if you use the formula =now()

In truth both appear to work for me, but =now() would be a little simpler :) 

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book

Friday, April 14, 2017 11:08 PM
  • ProjDateConv's output is text. Use a custom text field instead of a custom date field. 

Update Project 2013 with the latest public update: 

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3178713/april-4-2017-update-for-project-2013-kb3178713

Also try using this one:

ProjDateConv( [Current Date], pjDate_mm_dd_yy )

The current date field gets the date from the computer's clock at open. 

Ismet Kocaman | eBook on Formulas

Friday, April 14, 2017 11:41 PM
  • All - Good suggestions and I will try them this morning.  I guess what was frustrating me was the fact that the formula should run regardless of the function that I am using.  I am use to Excel where once you set the formula to run you don't have to manually run it.  Is there something I can do to force the formulas to update when I open Project or once open using a function key or shortcut?

Thanks

Monday, April 17, 2017 12:25 PM
  • Just hit <F9>.

Ismet Kocaman | eBook on Formulas

Monday, April 17, 2017 2:34 PM
  • The formulas should just work and recalc when a cell changes in MSProject.  As has been mentioned, F9 forces a recalc.

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book

Monday, April 17, 2017 10:16 PM