Future of desktop applications on Windows 8 RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi All,

There are a lot of threads discussing existence of WPF/Silverlight/HTML5 on Windows 8, I just need to clarify the picture about desktop applications only, I have following queries to the experts

1. What are the technologies available for developing desktop applications on Windows 8?

2. What are the technologies I can use for creating rich multimedia applications. Currently I have an application with DirectX 9 and WPF. If I am to develop something like that for Windows 8 then what options are available to me, and what are the pros and cons of these.

3. Is it a good idea to continue with the same DirectX 9 code on Windows 8 as well? What is the best option equivalent to DirectX, Is it XNA or is it DirectX 11 or something else?

Performance an extensibility are critical points to me. All suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in Advance.

Vibhore

Thursday, December 6, 2012 6:35 AM

All replies

• I am not sure if you know this but most of the businesses are moving on the Web and cloud. Technically you can use Windows Forms and WPF applications on Windows 8 using Visual Studio 2012 and they will work just fine. Windows applications will be here for a while. Windows Forms applications are still being built and WPF is still in a good demand. 

For rich media applications, you can still use WPF and you can also build Windows Store Apps using XAML. HTML 5 also supports rich media as well.

I never liked DirectX. If you want to build Windows Store apps, you need to continue with what Microsoft gives you. XNA is supposed to build Windows Phone apps. 

Also check out these two blogs: 

Are Windows Forms, WPF and ASP.NET Endanger?

What is .NET Scope in Future

Good luck!

www.c-sharpcorner.com

Sunday, January 27, 2013 5:00 AM