Loading an image to it's original size RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hello,

I would like to know how to display a picture at it's orinal size.

I was thinking to add an ImageBrush to a canvas background and to put the canvas in a viewbox.

(I need the canvas because I would like to add UIElement above the image later on)

I would like the cavas to be exactly of the same size as the image and that the viewbox provides the scroll bars to scroll the image.

Do I have to load the image first and then to set the canvas height and width? or is there a way to bind the image size to canvas size? or is there an other way?

Thank you by advance

Thursday, April 24, 2008 12:17 PM

Answers

• here's a simple example that achieves a similar result, but somewhat simpler.
    Code Snippet
    <ScrollViewer VerticalScrollBarVisibility="Auto"
                    HorizontalScrollBarVisibility="Auto">
        <Grid>
          <Image Source="C:\Users\Esus\Pictures\foto´s\kristel\100_0026.JPG"
                  Stretch="None"
                  HorizontalAlignment="Left"
                  VerticalAlignment="Top"/>
          <Canvas>
            <Rectangle Width="30" Height="30" Fill="Red"
             Canvas.Left="30"
             Canvas.Top="40"/>
          </Canvas>
        </Grid>
      </ScrollViewer>

Thursday, April 24, 2008 1:57 PM
  • 1. The image keeps it's original size because of 'Stretch=None'

2. The grid is used so you can easely put a canvas over the image without having to create a bunch of bindings to keep the sizing ok.

3. If you replace the grid with a canvas, the ScrollViewer no longer knows how big it's content really is (due to the way Canvas implements the ArrangeOverride and MeasureOverride).

I get the impression you really want to use the canvas without the grid, is there any reason for this?

Thursday, April 24, 2008 3:25 PM
  • Hello,

Well yes there are two reasons Smile

1) I like to understand and learn!

Thanks to your answers I m better now than I was this morning Smile

2) In fact I would like to display a list of movable selectable items on top of an image and being able to save that in a jpeg.

So my idea is to change the layout of a list box and set a Canvas as item host. Then I paint the background of the canvas with the image and the lisboxitems will be on the canvas!

But your trick seems good. I can switch the Canvas in your sample by a listbox and set the background to null and it will do the job I guess.

Thursday, April 24, 2008 3:34 PM

All replies

• here's a simple example that achieves a similar result, but somewhat simpler.
    Code Snippet
    <ScrollViewer VerticalScrollBarVisibility="Auto"
                    HorizontalScrollBarVisibility="Auto">
        <Grid>
          <Image Source="C:\Users\Esus\Pictures\foto´s\kristel\100_0026.JPG"
                  Stretch="None"
                  HorizontalAlignment="Left"
                  VerticalAlignment="Top"/>
          <Canvas>
            <Rectangle Width="30" Height="30" Fill="Red"
             Canvas.Left="30"
             Canvas.Top="40"/>
          </Canvas>
        </Grid>
      </ScrollViewer>

Thursday, April 24, 2008 1:57 PM
  • Hello thank you for the answer!

puting the image in a grid will cause the image to be at it's original size and the scrollbars displayed

if I replace the grid by a canvas I get no scrollbars.

Does someone know why?

Thursday, April 24, 2008 2:37 PM
  • 1. The image keeps it's original size because of 'Stretch=None'

2. The grid is used so you can easely put a canvas over the image without having to create a bunch of bindings to keep the sizing ok.

3. If you replace the grid with a canvas, the ScrollViewer no longer knows how big it's content really is (due to the way Canvas implements the ArrangeOverride and MeasureOverride).

I get the impression you really want to use the canvas without the grid, is there any reason for this?

Thursday, April 24, 2008 3:25 PM
  • Hello,

Well yes there are two reasons Smile

1) I like to understand and learn!

Thanks to your answers I m better now than I was this morning Smile

2) In fact I would like to display a list of movable selectable items on top of an image and being able to save that in a jpeg.

So my idea is to change the layout of a list box and set a Canvas as item host. Then I paint the background of the canvas with the image and the lisboxitems will be on the canvas!

But your trick seems good. I can switch the Canvas in your sample by a listbox and set the background to null and it will do the job I guess.

Thursday, April 24, 2008 3:34 PM