none
[WFP] Windows Filtering Platform Sample fails to build with Visual Studio 2015 U2 RRS feed

• Question

• Installed the Windows 10 WDK.
    Downloaded the WDK 8.1 C++ Samples.
    Opened the Windows Filtering Platform Sample solution with Visual Studio 2015 U2.
    Completed the changes outlined in the Description.html for the Windows Filtering Platform Sample.

The build output:

------ Rebuild All started: Project: WFPSamplerCalloutDriver, Configuration: Win8.1 Debug x64 ------
      Building 'WFPSamplerCalloutDriver' with toolset 'WindowsKernelModeDriver10.0' and the 'Desktop' target platform.
      Stamping .\x64\Win8.1Debug\\WFPSamplerCalloutDriver.inf [Version] section with DriverVer=06/22/2016,10.11.14.177
    F:\Windows Filtering Platform Sample\C++\sys\WFPSamplerCalloutDriver.inx : error 1203: Section [microsoft.ntamd64] not found.
    F:\Windows Filtering Platform Sample\C++\sys\WFPSamplerCalloutDriver.inx(25-25): error 1204: Provider cannot be "Microsoft", must be organization who authored INF.
    F:\Windows Filtering Platform Sample\C++\sys\WFPSamplerCalloutDriver.inx(52-52): warning 2083: Section [defaultuninstall.ntamd64] not referenced or used.
    F:\Windows Filtering Platform Sample\C++\sys\WFPSamplerCalloutDriver.inx(56-56): warning 2083: Section [defaultuninstall.ntamd64.services] not referenced or used.
    F:\Windows Filtering Platform Sample\C++\sys\WFPSamplerCalloutDriver.inx(59-59): warning 2083: Section [wfpcalloutclassreg] not referenced or used.
    F:\Windows Filtering Platform Sample\C++\sys\WFPSamplerCalloutDriver.inx(66-66): warning 2083: Section [wfpsamplercalloutdriver.driverfiles] not referenced or used.
    F:\Windows Filtering Platform Sample\C++\sys\WFPSamplerCalloutDriver.inx(69-69): warning 2083: Section [wfpsamplercalloutdriver.nt.coinstallers] not referenced or used.
    F:\Windows Filtering Platform Sample\C++\sys\WFPSamplerCalloutDriver.inx(73-73): warning 2083: Section [wfpsamplercalloutdriver.coinstaller.addreg] not referenced or used.
    F:\Windows Filtering Platform Sample\C++\sys\WFPSamplerCalloutDriver.inx(77-77): warning 2083: Section [wfpsamplercalloutdriver.coinstaller.copyfiles] not referenced or used.
    F:\Windows Filtering Platform Sample\C++\sys\WFPSamplerCalloutDriver.inx(81-81): warning 2083: Section [wfpsamplercalloutdriver.service] not referenced or used.

After changing the value assigned to the Msft variable, that gets rid of error 1204. But error 1203 remains. I don't understand what is needed to eliminate error 1203.

Any guidance is appreciated.

Gyle

Wednesday, June 22, 2016 5:49 PM

Answers

All replies

• There were some changes being done in regards to handling Inx files, and I'm not sure if those got ported to the 8.1 sample (my guess is no). Can you please try the INX from the Win 10 sample

https://github.com/Microsoft/Windows-driver-samples/blob/master/network/trans/WFPSampler/sys/WFPSamplerCalloutDriver.InX

Dusty Harper [MSFT]
    Microsoft Corporation
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    This posting is provided "AS IS", with NO warranties and confers NO rights
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Thursday, June 23, 2016 10:01 PM
  • Hi Dusty,

Thanks for the link. (I wish I had found the Windows 10 version of the WFP samples earlier.)
    I am restarting my exercise with the latest WFPSampler solution. It builds first time which is great. Unfortunately, the deploy does not seem wired up correctly. The latest WFPSampler solution no longer has a packages project so the README.md instructions on how to deploy are out of sync.
    If I try right-clicking the WFPSamplerCalloutDriver and click Deploy, the following appears in the Output > Driver window:
    Deploying driver files for project "F:\Customers\Catchpoint\WFPSampler\sys\WFPSamplerCalloutDriver.vcxproj".  Deployment may take a few minutes...
    Could not find a part of the path 'F:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\Common7\IDE\x64\Debug\WFPSamplerCalloutDriver'.
    It looks like some script is expecting the project's output is located under the Visual Studio installation folders. How would I fix that?
    Thanks,
    Gyle
    Thursday, July 14, 2016 5:12 PM
  • Having similar issue but this time using WDK 10 and the WFPSampler from github. Thread is there: https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsdesktop/en-US/f69806e0-d57e-416b-9c41-41f384c11fa0/compiling-wfpsampler-wfpcalloutsclassreg-not-found?forum=wfp

Do not know if it's related to changes in inx file handling or setup issue ... ?

Friday, June 30, 2017 2:36 AM