Granting Create Function Permissions RRS feed

• Question

• I  granted a user create functions in my database but he still cannot create functions. When I checked the database permissions, they showed he had create function permissions. What am I missing?
    DJ Baby Anne's Biggest Fan................
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 7:23 PM

Answers

•   Besides CREATE FUNCTION permission, the user requires ALTER permission on the schema where the function is being created. For more detailed information please refer to BOL: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms186755.aspx

As an additional note, I would like to suggest to create a schema for the application being developed instead of using DBO schema.

I hope this information helps,
      -Raul Garcia
       SDE/T
       SQL Server Engine

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 7:48 PM
  • Taken from BOL:

Requires CREATE FUNCTION permission in the database and ALTER permission on the schema in which the function is being created. If the function specifies a user-defined type, requires EXECUTE permission on the type.

Thanks, Leks
    • Proposed as answer by Alex Feng (SQL) Thursday, November 12, 2009 7:55 AM
    • Marked as answer by Abercrombie07 Thursday, November 12, 2009 8:00 AM
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 11:44 PM

All replies

•   Besides CREATE FUNCTION permission, the user requires ALTER permission on the schema where the function is being created. For more detailed information please refer to BOL: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms186755.aspx

As an additional note, I would like to suggest to create a schema for the application being developed instead of using DBO schema.

I hope this information helps,
      -Raul Garcia
       SDE/T
       SQL Server Engine

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 7:48 PM
  • Taken from BOL:

Requires CREATE FUNCTION permission in the database and ALTER permission on the schema in which the function is being created. If the function specifies a user-defined type, requires EXECUTE permission on the type.

Thanks, Leks
    • Proposed as answer by Alex Feng (SQL) Thursday, November 12, 2009 7:55 AM
    • Marked as answer by Abercrombie07 Thursday, November 12, 2009 8:00 AM
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 11:44 PM
  • Thanks. Can't believe I missed that. Glad you guys were able to help.
    Thursday, November 12, 2009 8:00 AM
  • Thanks.
    Thursday, November 12, 2009 8:01 AM