hibernation resume question RRS feed

• Question

• We are trying to get around no longer having the "It's now safe to turn off your computer" feature that XP had.  At that point in the shutdown sequence the computer can still be reset and we were able to do that with some custom hardware.  I installed the EWF module in ICE and now I can use the hibernate command.  The problem with hibernate is it takes longer to boot than restart.  Also, there is a login screen that it stops at.  Maybe the login screen is relatively simple to bypass and I've checked with some in house SW folks. The last problem is that our application resides in the startup folder and after resuming from hibernation, this doesn't startup.

What I need to be able to do is to be able to restart, not resume the computer after Windows is commanded to go into some mode similar to hibernate. 

If this is in the wrong forum, please move to the correct forum.

Thanks,

SDDOUBLEE

Thursday, October 6, 2011 1:24 AM

All replies

• Perhaps I don't understand completely, and if that is the case forgive me, but if you want to just restart the computer and not resume from Hibernation, then the simple answer is to disable HORM, or remove it from your build?

Also others have stated in these forums in the past that the computers often boot up faster from cold start without HORM, than with HORM.

And if you are not resuming from Hibernation then when the computer restarts or boots it should run any programs in the startup folder.

So I suggest removing HORM first to see if that solves your problem, unless I misunderstood you and you need the resume functionality?

"Learning without thought is labor lost; Thought without learning is perilous." Confucius
    Thursday, October 6, 2011 2:38 PM
  • Since WES7 only supports ACPI, the "It's now safe to turn off your computer" is no longer there. The system will just shutdown.

For WES7, cold boot has been found to boot faster than hibernation resume. Elimintate hibneration and use autologon.

-Sean

www.sjjmicro.com / www.seanliming.com / www.annabooks.com, Book Author - ProGuide to WES 7, XP Embedded Advanced, WEPOS / POS for .NET Step-by-Step
    Thursday, October 6, 2011 3:57 PM