none
Increase Upload Speed on Lower Band Width

Question

• Hello,

As i am using standard code from MSDN to upload the file to my storage account as usual.

Now my problem is that my network bandwidth is too too much less which is causing performance issue while uploading files more than 5GB.

I have gone through some articles but not able to make a decision where should i do the change ?

In one of the forum i find this

http://tk.azurewebsites.net/2012/12/10/greatly-increase-the-performance-of-azure-storage-cloudblobclient/

Which says that to increase number of connection which is true.

What else i can do ? 

K K Sanghi

• Edited by Krishna Sanghi Friday, January 16, 2015 12:01 PM Spelling Mistake
    Friday, January 16, 2015 12:01 PM

Answers

• What bandwidth do you purchase from your Internet Service Provider?

Are the upload and download speeds the same or is the upload speed much slower (like 1/10th of the download speed) than the download speed (which for Cable Modem service providers is normally an issue and in fact is how they provide your download and upload speeds which will be significantly different normally).

On your networks side of the ISP's equipment how many subnetworks and systems have access to and use the bandwidth provided by the ISP?

Many other issues could be present regarding this;

• How much available bandwidth is being used by other processes in all of the PC's trying to access the internet from your side of your ISP's internet interface?
    • If only one PC exists on your side of the ISP's equipment have you determined what upload speeds your application is being provided by monitoring the PC's internet connection? Maybe it's maxed out. You can use performance counters to get a good idea of how much data per second is being sent out of your PC. I believe Visual Studio even has performance counters available in the toolbox as shown in the image below.
    • It's possible but not probable that your PC's window size for TCP is not maxed out. You would need to research how to access that for your OS to see what it is set for. Then see what the maximum allowed is. Then set it to max if it is not there already. I believe it is a registry setting. The windowing scheme is used by TCP so a certain amount of IP packets can be sent before a receiving system acknowledges they were all received or asks for a retransmission of data if necessary (basically but there's more to it than just that) as TCP, unlike UDP, provides data verification so no "bad" data is provided on the application side of the IP stack.
    • Most likely you will need to pay your ISP to increase your bandwidth in order to increase your upload speeds for greater data transfer.

La vida loca

Saturday, January 17, 2015 4:45 AM

All replies

• Could you provide a little more information on your scenario so we can investigate:

- What type of client are you using Linux / Windows

- What client library are you using or are you writing your own

- How do  you know bandwidth is causing the issue

- What errors are you receiveing etc

Thanks

Jason

jason

Saturday, January 17, 2015 3:50 AM
  • What bandwidth do you purchase from your Internet Service Provider?

Are the upload and download speeds the same or is the upload speed much slower (like 1/10th of the download speed) than the download speed (which for Cable Modem service providers is normally an issue and in fact is how they provide your download and upload speeds which will be significantly different normally).

On your networks side of the ISP's equipment how many subnetworks and systems have access to and use the bandwidth provided by the ISP?

Many other issues could be present regarding this;

• How much available bandwidth is being used by other processes in all of the PC's trying to access the internet from your side of your ISP's internet interface?
    • If only one PC exists on your side of the ISP's equipment have you determined what upload speeds your application is being provided by monitoring the PC's internet connection? Maybe it's maxed out. You can use performance counters to get a good idea of how much data per second is being sent out of your PC. I believe Visual Studio even has performance counters available in the toolbox as shown in the image below.
    • It's possible but not probable that your PC's window size for TCP is not maxed out. You would need to research how to access that for your OS to see what it is set for. Then see what the maximum allowed is. Then set it to max if it is not there already. I believe it is a registry setting. The windowing scheme is used by TCP so a certain amount of IP packets can be sent before a receiving system acknowledges they were all received or asks for a retransmission of data if necessary (basically but there's more to it than just that) as TCP, unlike UDP, provides data verification so no "bad" data is provided on the application side of the IP stack.
    • Most likely you will need to pay your ISP to increase your bandwidth in order to increase your upload speeds for greater data transfer.

La vida loca

Saturday, January 17, 2015 4:45 AM