Visual Studio Design View Freezes RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

I've been working on some aspx web pages, and recently I've lost the ability to use the 'Design View'.
    Up until sometime last week, I was able to navigate between the xaml and the design view to check out elements and make changes. However one day clicking the 'Design' button ceased to work, and that tab in Visual Studio would hang and stop responding unless I closed it. There are no errors that I can find, nor events in the event viewer that suggest that anything is going wrong.

I've been looking through the internet for other people that have experienced this, but I have yet to find any sort of answer.

Might someone know why this is happening and what to do about it?

Thanks

• Moved by Kristin Xie Tuesday, October 13, 2015 5:56 AM VS related
    Monday, October 12, 2015 5:44 PM

Answers

• Hi duncadav,

>> However one day clicking the 'Design' button ceased to work, and that tab in Visual Studio would hang and stop responding unless I closed it.

To make sure whether it is related to your specific project, please create a new project to test this issue.

If this issue still occur for the new project, I doubt that it is related to your visual studio, please take the following steps to see if it helps:

(1) Go to Control Panel to repair your visual studio first.

(2) Please open Windows Explorer, and navigate to  <Visual Studio Installation Path>\Common7\IDE (by default is C:\Program Files or Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio <version number>\Common7\IDE), and run the following commands:

a. devenv.exe /resetsettings, it will restore Visual Studio default settings. Optionally resets the settings to the specified .vssettings file.

b. devenv.exe /resetuserdata, it will take a couple of minutes to run as Visual Studio cleans up and sets itself back to its original state. You may open Task Manager at this point to check whether the devenv.exe process is still running. After it has completed running, you can restart Visual Studio.

c. devenv.exe /safemode, this can eliminate the possibility that third party Add-ins or packages are causing problems. Thus ensuring stable execution.

If this issue doesn't occur for the new project, I think it is related to your specific project, I suggest you could consult this issue on asp.net forum as Christopher84 suggested.

Best Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Proposed as answer by Jiayi Li Wednesday, October 21, 2015 7:59 AM
    • Marked as answer by Jiayi Li Wednesday, October 21, 2015 7:59 AM
    Tuesday, October 13, 2015 7:08 AM

All replies

• Generally asp.net related questions are better asked on the ASP.Net forum:

http://forums.asp.net/

On the other hand, this sounds more like a general Visual Studio issue. So maybe a proper subforum here might be better.

Do you have that with only one project or all projects? Have you tried reinstalling Visual Studio?

You said google found nothing, what about the related threas on this forum? This one in particular seems very promising: https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/3a798a41-486a-425d-a892-973b6de065a0/visual-studio-2013-hangsfreezes-when-trying-to-click-the-designer-view?forum=visualstudiogeneral

Monday, October 12, 2015 5:51 PM
  • Hi duncadav,

>> However one day clicking the 'Design' button ceased to work, and that tab in Visual Studio would hang and stop responding unless I closed it.

To make sure whether it is related to your specific project, please create a new project to test this issue.

If this issue still occur for the new project, I doubt that it is related to your visual studio, please take the following steps to see if it helps:

(1) Go to Control Panel to repair your visual studio first.

(2) Please open Windows Explorer, and navigate to  <Visual Studio Installation Path>\Common7\IDE (by default is C:\Program Files or Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio <version number>\Common7\IDE), and run the following commands:

a. devenv.exe /resetsettings, it will restore Visual Studio default settings. Optionally resets the settings to the specified .vssettings file.

b. devenv.exe /resetuserdata, it will take a couple of minutes to run as Visual Studio cleans up and sets itself back to its original state. You may open Task Manager at this point to check whether the devenv.exe process is still running. After it has completed running, you can restart Visual Studio.

c. devenv.exe /safemode, this can eliminate the possibility that third party Add-ins or packages are causing problems. Thus ensuring stable execution.

If this issue doesn't occur for the new project, I think it is related to your specific project, I suggest you could consult this issue on asp.net forum as Christopher84 suggested.

Best Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Proposed as answer by Jiayi Li Wednesday, October 21, 2015 7:59 AM
    • Marked as answer by Jiayi Li Wednesday, October 21, 2015 7:59 AM
    Tuesday, October 13, 2015 7:08 AM