none
Need CRUD to an Azure SQL dB from Apache RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings, I'm overwhelmed. Too many choices.
    I've got an Azure SQL database that I need to query and update from web pages that are running on a hosted Apache webserver.
    These are small, infrequent requests, (add a name/address/email record to the DB). 
    What's the current best practice to make this happen?
    Is there an Azure web service that could be called from the web page form?
    Javascript on the web page, like we did 10 years ago?
    What would have the smallest footprint? - Thanks

Mark

Monday, August 15, 2016 5:01 AM

Answers

• Hi Mark,

As your requests against to database are small and infrequent. I suggest that you can leverage Azure Table Storage, which is a service that stores structured NoSQL data in the Azure cloud. Table storage is a key/attribute store with a schemaless design. Because Table storage is schemaless, it's easy to adapt your data as the needs of your application evolve. Access to data is fast and cost-effective for all kinds of applications. Table storage is typically significantly lower in cost than traditional SQL for similar volumes of data.

Furthermore, whichever the database you are using, we don't recommend you to implement the database operations directly from web page via javascript. As the javascript scripts in web page will expose your info of database to public which will raise the security risk of your data. Meanwhile, you can build up a simple backend server to handle the data operations against the database and serve them to your front end page.

Any further concern, please feel free to let me know.

• Marked as answer by Mark Kleine Tuesday, August 16, 2016 2:42 PM
    Tuesday, August 16, 2016 9:13 AM

All replies

• Hi Mark,

As your requests against to database are small and infrequent. I suggest that you can leverage Azure Table Storage, which is a service that stores structured NoSQL data in the Azure cloud. Table storage is a key/attribute store with a schemaless design. Because Table storage is schemaless, it's easy to adapt your data as the needs of your application evolve. Access to data is fast and cost-effective for all kinds of applications. Table storage is typically significantly lower in cost than traditional SQL for similar volumes of data.

Furthermore, whichever the database you are using, we don't recommend you to implement the database operations directly from web page via javascript. As the javascript scripts in web page will expose your info of database to public which will raise the security risk of your data. Meanwhile, you can build up a simple backend server to handle the data operations against the database and serve them to your front end page.

Any further concern, please feel free to let me know.

• Marked as answer by Mark Kleine Tuesday, August 16, 2016 2:42 PM
    Tuesday, August 16, 2016 9:13 AM
  • Gary, thanks for the hint, just what I was looking for. I understand the Javascript concerns, and was hoping there was some magic html5<g>...

Mark

Tuesday, August 16, 2016 2:42 PM