none
Cannot debug project because required version of MS Office application is not installed. Using VS 2010 and Office 2013 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I apologize for asking what seems to be a fairly common issue, but after hours of searching, I cannot seem to find the solution to my particular issue. 

I had previously written Excel addins for Office 2010 using VS 2010. Then our employer had Office 2013 installed and things have since gone a bit haywire. So I tried to start from scratch but I still am stuck.

In VS 2010, I created a new Excel 2010 Addin Project, with the hopes of it running in Office 2013. However, when just creating the project and trying to run it (with no code yet), I get the "Cannot debug project because required version of MS Office application is not installed." 

Looking at the Project, I see different versions in the References. For example, 

Microsoft.Office.Tools - Ver 10
    Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel -Ver 14 
    Microsoft.Office.Tools.Excel - Ver 10
    Office - Ver 14
    Microsoft.Office.Tools.Common - Ver10

I am not sure which versions of the DLLs I need and even which references I need in the project. Do I need the Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel.Extension? If so, where can I can download the PIAs for Office 2013?.

I thought I would need version 15 (isn't that Office 2013?) for this. The other issue is that I no longer have Office 2010 installed on my system, so I don't know if that is causing some issues as well.  

It boils down to this, what do I need to do to write an Excel Addin for Office 2013, using VS 2010?

Thank you.

~Jenna

p.s. Some of the articles that I've read are

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/vsto/archive/2010/06/04/creating-an-add-in-for-office-2007-and-office-2010-that-quot-lights-up-quot-on-office-2010-mclean-schofield.aspx

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/15s06t57(v=vs.100).aspx

Monday, September 22, 2014 5:05 PM

Answers

• Hello Jenna,

> "Cannot debug project because required version of MS Office application is not installed."

The required version of Office is determined by the referenced interop file. So, Visual Studio checks the referenced interop version and looks for the corresponding Office version installed on the system. If you need to debug it in other Office versions you have to replace the interop with a corresponding version. Or just use the Embed Interop Types option available in .Net framework 4.0 and later.

There is no separate installer for Office 2013 PIAs. They will be available by default if Office 2013 is installed. You just need to check out the .Net programmability support option in the installer wizard. You can find them in the GAC. See Where to find Office 2013 PIAs for install for more information.

• Marked as answer by Jenna_Fire Tuesday, September 23, 2014 8:38 PM
    Monday, September 22, 2014 6:41 PM

All replies

• Hello Jenna,

> "Cannot debug project because required version of MS Office application is not installed."

The required version of Office is determined by the referenced interop file. So, Visual Studio checks the referenced interop version and looks for the corresponding Office version installed on the system. If you need to debug it in other Office versions you have to replace the interop with a corresponding version. Or just use the Embed Interop Types option available in .Net framework 4.0 and later.

There is no separate installer for Office 2013 PIAs. They will be available by default if Office 2013 is installed. You just need to check out the .Net programmability support option in the installer wizard. You can find them in the GAC. See Where to find Office 2013 PIAs for install for more information.

• Marked as answer by Jenna_Fire Tuesday, September 23, 2014 8:38 PM
    Monday, September 22, 2014 6:41 PM
  • If you want to target Office 13 then select version 15 PIA.

then

Right click in the Solution in the Solution Explorer  and select Properties

in the Debug tab, (left side) -> Start external program => Browse for the correct Excel.exe version 

Tuesday, September 23, 2014 9:15 AM
  • Hello Jenna,

Thank you so much for the information. This is very helpful.

Tuesday, September 23, 2014 8:38 PM