Open Access using ACE.OLEDB.12.0 on 64 bit Windows Server 2003 RRS feed

• Question

• User379921836 posted

I have downloaded the new Microsoft Access Database Engine 2010 Redistributable hoping it would resolve a long time problem of opening an Access mdb file in code behind for an aspx page that runs on Windows server 2003 64bit.

For reference, here is the download to the file:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=c06b8369-60dd-4b64-a44b-84b371ede16d

After installing the setup I first did a test WinForm app with it compiled as 64bit to open an Access mdb and it worked fine.

When I went to do this in code-behind in an aspx page, when I tried to open the connection it failed with the error:
    The 'Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0' provider is not registered on the local machine.

Of course I know it is on the system as the WinForm app used it just fine.

I am aware of a "fix" in which I can set my AppPool in IIS to run in 32 bit instead of 64 bit but for other reasons I can not do this, it must remain 64 bit.

Oddly enough, the AccessDatasource control works fine on 64bit but that doesn't offer me what I need in terms of working with my data.

So, my question is:
    Can I open an Access mdb file in an aspx code-behind running on a 64 bit server?

I really thought the new ACE driver would resolve this but it has not. Am I doing anything wrong?

Tuesday, June 15, 2010 4:59 PM

Answers

• User379921836 posted

Hello,

Thank you for your reply, but as I mentioned in my post, I am aware of that "fix" to changing the appPool to run 32 bit but it needs to remain on 64bit. 

Are you familiar with the new 64 bit ACE provider? It is supposed to work in 64 bit mode but does not on IIS. It does in a WinForm app when I make the target cpu x64, but this does not work in IIS. Again, I need all 64bit.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, June 16, 2010 1:26 PM

All replies