none
Service application upgrade RRS feed

Answers

• Issue is resolved. 

The problem was that when I restored the database I used a different name for the new BCS data base. This time I restored with same name as it was in SP2013 and it took it. 

So apparently, at least for BCS the DB names should be same in 2013 and 2016 while migrating. 

Sharath  , thank you for help. I wasnt paying much attention to ULS logs until you mentioned above. 

@R

@R

Wednesday, July 24, 2019 7:12 PM

All replies

• Create the Service App and when specifying a database, specify the database to be upgraded.

Trevor Seward

Office Apps and Services MVP

Author, Deploying SharePoint 2019

Author, Deploying SharePoint 2016

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Friday, July 19, 2019 12:08 AM
  • You can run the below command to get all service instances from the farm.

Add-Pssnapin "Microsoft.SharePoint.PowerShell"
    #Get the Service Instance
    Get-SPServiceInstance -Identity <ServiceGUID>
    #Start the Service Instance
    Start-SPServiceInstance -Identity <ServiceGUID>
    #Stop the Service Instance
    Stop-SPServiceInstance -Identity <ServiceGUID>

Thanks & Regards,

sharath aluri

Friday, July 19, 2019 1:10 AM
  • You can run the below command to get all service instances from the farm.

Add-Pssnapin "Microsoft.SharePoint.PowerShell"
    #Get the Service Instance
    Get-SPServiceInstance -Identity <ServiceGUID>
    #Start the Service Instance
    Start-SPServiceInstance -Identity <ServiceGUID>
    #Stop the Service Instance
    Stop-SPServiceInstance -Identity <ServiceGUID>

Thanks & Regards,

sharath aluri

That's not how it is done with MinRole. MinRole farms start the service on the appropriate server once the service application is created. You should not be starting it manually.

Trevor Seward

Office Apps and Services MVP

Author, Deploying SharePoint 2019

Author, Deploying SharePoint 2016

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Friday, July 19, 2019 1:23 AM
  • That's true i agree with you i was just giving the commands to just stop & start the services if in case. Just like if he chooses Custom Role then he can choose the services what needs to be run right.

Thanks & Regards,

sharath aluri

Friday, July 19, 2019 1:39 AM
  • Trevor

I restored the sp2013 secure store DB and then I created secure store service application in central admin by specifying this DB name and it went fine. Then I had to generate the key by using the same key as before.

After this I do not see any target applications which were there in 2013. I thought when I used the 2013 DB everything comes through ?/ If I have to re create all the target applications then what is the point of creating this using old DB

@R

Monday, July 22, 2019 8:43 PM
  • Hi @R,

Try to check the similar post:

Secured Store Upgrade - no target applications migrated - any help?

Best regards,

Grace Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Tuesday, July 23, 2019 9:00 AM
  • Hello Grace,

I am receiving below error while I am trying to create a service application with a restored BDC service DB. 

Please help me. How should I proceed. 

Thank you

PS C:\Users\XXXXXX> New-SPBusinessDataCatalogServiceApplication -Name 'Business Data Connectivity Service' -ApplicationPool $applicationPool -DatabaseName 'Dev_Business Data Connectivity'
    New-SPBusinessDataCatalogServiceApplication : The timer job completed, but failed on one or more machines in the farm.
    At line:1 char:1
    + New-SPBusinessDataCatalogServiceApplication -Name 'Business Data Conn ...
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : InvalidData: (Microsoft.Share...viceApplication:SPNewBusinessDa...viceApplication) [New-SPBusinessD...viceApplication], SPException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Microsoft.SharePoint.BusinessData.SharedService.SPNewBusinessDataCatalogServiceApplication

@R

Tuesday, July 23, 2019 11:16 PM
  • Things to check

Make Sure Business Data Connectivity Service is started in Services on Server.
    The Account creating the application is a member of local administrators group of the SharePoint server
    The SharePoint Timer job is running in services.msc
    The account creating the BDC service have DB_Creator server role on the SQL Server, and is db_owner of the Config_DB.

Thanks & Regards,

sharath aluri

Wednesday, July 24, 2019 1:31 AM
  • Hi @R,

Make sure the SharePoint Timer service is running via run->type services.msc, if so, restart this service.

Whether the new Business Data Connectivity Service is created but not start?

If so, delete the old one, check the account permission as Sharath said, then restart the Business Data Connectivity Service in Manage services on server.

Recreate BDC service using PowerShell  and check again.

Best regards,

Grace Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Wednesday, July 24, 2019 8:23 AM
  • Background: This is a  single server SharePoint 2016 farm where SQL is also installed on the same server. 

1. Timer service is running . I restarted it. 

2. When I go Manage services on central admin there is no start button in the Action column of Business Data connectivity service. Check out the pic below. 

3. User is farm admin with local admin rights and sysadmin on the sql server. 

4. I tried to recreate after above steps and I still get the same error.

Any other suggestions please

@R

• Edited by youlearn Wednesday, July 24, 2019 4:43 PM
    Wednesday, July 24, 2019 4:33 PM
  • Go to Service.msc and right click on timer service and go to properties and then update the password, then try clearing config cache from below script. and then try again..

https://github.com/DwayneSelsig/spcachecleaner/blob/master/SPCacheCleaner.ps1

If the above steps doesn't work for you provide the ULS logs to have a look.

Thanks & Regards,

sharath aluri

Wednesday, July 24, 2019 6:01 PM
  • Issue is resolved. 

The problem was that when I restored the database I used a different name for the new BCS data base. This time I restored with same name as it was in SP2013 and it took it. 

So apparently, at least for BCS the DB names should be same in 2013 and 2016 while migrating. 

Sharath  , thank you for help. I wasnt paying much attention to ULS logs until you mentioned above. 

@R

@R

Wednesday, July 24, 2019 7:12 PM
  • Hi @R,

I'm glad you have resolved your issue and thanks for your sharing.

You can mark your post as answer to help other community members to find the information quickly.

Best regards,

Grace Wang

Thursday, July 25, 2019 1:44 AM
  • Hi @R,

As your issue is resolved, you can mark your post or other helpful post as answer to help other users to learn from this post.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best regards,

Grace Wang

Wednesday, July 31, 2019 9:34 AM