none
Intel Joule Windows IoT Application Deployment RRS feed

• Question

• I'm developing my first Windows IoT app for the Intel Joule Developer Kit. I have upgraded the BIOS and installed Windows IoT Core version 10.0.16193.1001.

I am able to connect the device to my wifi internet (IP established). From a host Windows 10 PC I can powershell Enter-PSSSession to my IoT device using its Device Name and IP. I can also see the device from the Host "IoT Dashboard" tool.

I cannot however open a Device Portal from a browser or F5 debug from a Visual Studio 2017 demo app ("Hello Blinky"). I see from the release notes (https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/iot/docs/releasenotesinsiderpreviewthat "F5 driver deployment from Visual Studio does not work on IoT Core." I also see this comment in the release notes for the only other joule version available (ver 15051).

Is there another way to deploy Windows IoT Core apps for the joule from visual studio or powershell?

Tuesday, May 30, 2017 9:03 PM

All replies

• Hi ashes4all,

Have you confirmed the setup as suggested in step three in setting up IOTCore for your joule? https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/iot/Docs/GetStarted/joule/getstartedstep3 

Do your versions and details match?

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Tuesday, May 30, 2017 10:53 PM
  • Thanks for the comment IoTGirl,

I have Visual Studio Community 2015 ver 5.2 which includes Universal Windows Apps ver 15.0.26430.06. These are both more recent releases than specified in Step 3 Instructions for Joule.

Do you think Windows IoT Core joule device debugging is broken when moving to more current dev tools?

I am assuming the problem is on the Windows IoT Core joule device as the release notes indicate "F5 driver deployment from Visual Studio does not work on IoT Core."

Thanks,

ashes4all

Wednesday, May 31, 2017 6:23 PM
  • ashes4all,

The releases of IoT that have come out since about February 1 of this year all require Visual Studio 2017. VS 2015 will no longer communicate with it when trying to use F5 Debug/Deploy.

C-Coder

Wednesday, May 31, 2017 7:35 PM
  • Hi Ashes4All,

I asked a member of the IoT Core team to review your posting and I have the following response for you.

I have not seen those issues. There are 2 things that I’d like pointed out:

1. The person states they can see the device in Dashboard but cannot open Device Portal in the browser. Have they tried opening it from Dashboard? (right click on device -> Open in Device Portal)
    2. F5 driver deployment has nothing to do with Blinky or any other UWP app the user might try to deploy to the device. If they give us the error that is thrown might shed some light on the type of issue.

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Thursday, June 1, 2017 4:14 PM