Legacy apps portrait orientation

Question

• while i was testing some of my desktop applications using the tablet simulator i noticed they looked messy and squashed in portrait mode but were fine in landscape obviously because thats how they were designed and the same goes for all other software i use on my computer like photoshop.  i know a lot of windows tablets will run on ARM which at the moment will not run most software but they will also be intel tablets available like the one given away at build that will run everything and my question is is there a way to tell windows to keep out applications in landscape mode i.e not flip it if the orientation changes?

i suppose it isn't a massive issue but people will use portrait mode and a lot of software will not function correctly and look realy messy so it could be a problem if theres no way to stop them flipping around.  or maybe im just making an issue out of nothing i don't know hehe.

Monday, October 17, 2011 8:12 AM

All replies

• I haven't seen very many demos from Microsoft demonstrating Windows 8 in portrait mode. It seems to be designed for tablets that are run in a landscape view. Most modern desktop apps will need at least 1024 horizontal pixels in order to work properly. This makes the Windows desktop poorly suited for running in portrait mode, since you won't find very many tablet displays with that many vertical pixels in landscape mode (which become horizontal in portrait mode). I suspect that whether or not Windows changes its orientation when the device is moved will depend on the hardware manufacturer, but Microsoft may add an option to prevent Windows from switching to portrait mode when the tablet in question is flipped on its side, but I don't know. I'm certain, though, that if the entire Windows operating system switches to Portrait mode, the desktop will be flipped along with it. There is no way to prevent this, as much of the desktop still exists even when Metro is the only UI being used. In many ways, the desktop is still the primary Windows shell, and switching Windows to portrait view will also require switching the desktop.
    Monday, October 17, 2011 9:03 PM
  • On the Building Windows 8 Blog, there is a new entry for Optimizing for both landscape and portrait.
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2011/10/20/optimizing-for-both-landscape-and-portrait.aspx

Please review this blog as it may help to address your issue on Portrait orientation.

Marilyn
    Sunday, October 23, 2011 10:45 PM