BadImageFormatException. RRS feed

• Question

• User1287536547 posted

I downloaded a project from a client that I cannot get to run. I get BadIageFormatException. I want to start with the fact the client uses vs2013 I am using 2015. I tried both IIS and IIS Express. It seems like they are trying to run a 64 bit .dll in a 32 bit process. The application pool setting "Enable 32bit Applications" is set to false. I have .NET Core set up on my machine but IIS Express uses a separate application pool for that, but I though I should mention it. The project is set to build for any CPU. Here is the stack trace. any help would be appreciated!

[BadImageFormatException: Could not load file or assembly 'kXXX.Config' or one of its dependencies. An attempt was made to load a program with an incorrect format.]
       System.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly._nLoad(AssemblyName fileName, String codeBase, Evidence assemblySecurity, RuntimeAssembly locationHint, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, IntPtr pPrivHostBinder, Boolean throwOnFileNotFound, Boolean forIntrospection, Boolean suppressSecurityChecks) +0
       System.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly.nLoad(AssemblyName fileName, String codeBase, Evidence assemblySecurity, RuntimeAssembly locationHint, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, IntPtr pPrivHostBinder, Boolean throwOnFileNotFound, Boolean forIntrospection, Boolean suppressSecurityChecks) +36
       System.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly.InternalLoadAssemblyName(AssemblyName assemblyRef, Evidence assemblySecurity, RuntimeAssembly reqAssembly, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, IntPtr pPrivHostBinder, Boolean throwOnFileNotFound, Boolean forIntrospection, Boolean suppressSecurityChecks) +152
       System.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly.InternalLoad(String assemblyString, Evidence assemblySecurity, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, IntPtr pPrivHostBinder, Boolean forIntrospection) +77
       System.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly.InternalLoad(String assemblyString, Evidence assemblySecurity, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, Boolean forIntrospection) +21
       System.Reflection.Assembly.Load(String assemblyString) +28
       System.Web.Configuration.CompilationSection.LoadAssemblyHelper(String assemblyName, Boolean starDirective) +38

[ConfigurationErrorsException: Could not load file or assembly 'kXXX.Config' or one of its dependencies. An attempt was made to load a program with an incorrect format.]
       System.Web.Configuration.CompilationSection.LoadAssemblyHelper(String assemblyName, Boolean starDirective) +738
       System.Web.Configuration.CompilationSection.LoadAllAssembliesFromAppDomainBinDirectory() +217
       System.Web.Configuration.CompilationSection.LoadAssembly(AssemblyInfo ai) +130
       System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.GetReferencedAssemblies(CompilationSection compConfig) +170
       System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.GetPreStartInitMethodsFromReferencedAssemblies() +92
       System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.CallPreStartInitMethods(String preStartInitListPath, Boolean& isRefAssemblyLoaded) +290
       System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.ExecutePreAppStart() +157
       System.Web.Hosting.HostingEnvironment.Initialize(ApplicationManager appManager, IApplicationHost appHost, IConfigMapPathFactory configMapPathFactory, HostingEnvironmentParameters hostingParameters, PolicyLevel policyLevel, Exception appDomainCreationException) +531

[HttpException (0x80004005): Could not load file or assembly 'kXXX.Config' or one of its dependencies. An attempt was made to load a program with an incorrect format.]
       System.Web.HttpRuntime.FirstRequestInit(HttpContext context) +9963380
       System.Web.HttpRuntime.EnsureFirstRequestInit(HttpContext context) +101
       System.Web.HttpRuntime.ProcessRequestNotificationPrivate(IIS7WorkerRequest wr, HttpContext context) +254

Thursday, September 8, 2016 5:11 PM

Answers

• User-2057865890 posted

Hi Remojr76,

The project is set to build for any CPU.

A DLL or executable is loaded as a 64-bit assembly, but it contains 32-bit features or resources. For example, it relies on COM interop or calls methods in a 32-bit dynamic link library.

To address this exception, set the project's Platform target property to x86 (instead of x64 or AnyCPU) and recompile.

reference:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.badimageformatexception(v=vs.110).aspx

Best Regards,

Chris

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Monday, September 12, 2016 3:02 AM