How to use the business rule engine in my workflows ? RRS feed

• Question

•  Dear friends,

Can i use the business rule engine in my workflows in visual studio 2010 with c#?How to use it please explain  me with samples.

Am using Layered architechture,my layers are Data Access,Business,Service(WCF),Presentation,We are having different solutions for each layer.

Now we are writting business rules as a methods inside the class file in Business solution.Business layer work is to inherit the Data access layer methods and applying the business rules,After the work completion we Pass the DLL to next layer like Service(WCF),likewise we are using now.

If I use business rule engine in my workflows how to use it,What are the steps to do it  in my layered architechture.

Thanks in advance

AarthiPalanisamy

Monday, April 2, 2012 5:32 AM

All replies

• Hello Aarthi,

WF 4.0 is a great tool where you can create your business rule engine. And then pass on to other layers.

You can create your own custom activities ( may be with activity designers also to create visual interface) depending upon your business requirement. You can create you own such library. Then you can use these activities into the workflows. These reusable activities will reduce your development time also. And you can change your workflow (if your business needs changes over the time).

After creating the workflows you can also expose them as WCF services, which can then be called by your next layer (which could be a whole WCF Service layer to implement SOA (Service Oriented Architecture)).

The next WCF layer job would be just to invoke these business workflows, thus you can exploit various rich feature of WF.

I am creating a screencast series also on Workflow foundation, i have just started this, it might be useful to you.

you can visit my blog www.itsabhishekkumar.com to  check the Workflow foundation link on that. For more info you can reply back to me.

Saturday, June 16, 2012 7:33 PM
  • Hi Abhimnit,

Can you please provide any example in which a workflow with some rule/ Custom activity has been made and being used across applications.

Thanks

Ankit

Monday, December 17, 2012 12:37 PM
  • Hi Ankit,

You might find the following samples helpful:

Thank you,

Hani

Tuesday, December 18, 2012 1:52 AM