Cant create Windows store package file RRS feed

• Question

• I create a UWP app 6 months ago and published it to windows store. Now I want to make an update to the store app and doing it from a different laptop. When I try to create package now it fails with below errors-

Loading certificate file 'xxx.pfx' failed. Unspecified error

The certificate specified is not valid for signing. For more information about valid certificates, see http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=241478.

Just to isolate the problem, I created a brand new UWP app project and tried to create package for it (without any code change). Still I get the same error.  I am using VS2015.

What am I missing here? Please help. Let me know if you need more details around it

Sunday, January 15, 2017 8:00 AM

All replies

• Hello,

According to the error info, you can create a new certificate or use an existing certificate to replace the invalid one.

You need to make sure the publisher info is the same as it in your package manifest. Then you can follow the packaging UWP apps to generate your package.

Best regards,

Mattew Wu

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Edited by Mattew Wu Monday, January 16, 2017 9:42 AM
    Monday, January 16, 2017 9:42 AM
  • I tried that as well. I get an error while generating a test certificate or selecting it from a file. Error popup says very generic message something like "Operation could not be completed". Sorry about not giving exact error message as I don't have access to that machine right now.

Is there any cmd line utility or other way by which certificate can be generated?

Tuesday, January 17, 2017 11:13 AM
  • Hello,

Since your certificate is invalid, can you try re-associating your app with the reserved app name in Dev Center Dashboard so that Store will help you configure the _StoreKey.pfx certificate file automatically?

Best regards,

Mattew Wu

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Edited by Mattew Wu Thursday, January 19, 2017 8:34 AM
    Thursday, January 19, 2017 8:33 AM
  • I did that as well. No success :(

Also while creating a test certificate from VS, I get below error-

"The manifest designer could not create a test certificate"

Friday, January 20, 2017 2:33 PM