Corrupted dotNet installations - cannot repair! RRS feed

• Question

• It seems that the dotNet installations have somehow been corrupted. I am suspecting it was because of dotNet 4 Beta which I uninstalled (everything had been running fine up until the point I removed it).
    But now I can't repair the products!

Necessary information:
    Trying to reinstall 3.5, 3.0 and 2.0.
    As for patches, I'm not sure, I cannot be sure, since the installation is corrupted plus I have installed nothing myself. All I can say was that I'm using Windows 7 and installed dotNet 4 with the release of VS10 Beta (which I later removed).

I have tried uninstalling them via the Turn of Features, but unfortunately it just errors me saying an error has occurred and fails.
    The dotNet Uninstaller tool refuses to remove 2.0, 3.0 and 3.5 and naturally, the installer for 3.5 errors me too saying I need to use the Turn of Windows Features to remove the dotNet Framework.

The dotNet script said the following:
    THE FOLLOWING SCRIPT will check to make sure that .NET Framework 3.5
    is installed properly and will tell you what is not configured appropriately
    WINDOWS VERSION: 6.1.7100
    POTENTIAL ERROR: REGISTRYDUMP: reg query "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP\v2.0.50727
    " /v "SP"

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP\v2.0.50727
        SP    REG_DWORD    0x2

ERROR: NetFx2.0 SP1 is not installed
    POTENTIAL ERROR: REGISTRYDUMP: reg query "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP\v3.0" /v "
    SP"

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP\v3.0
        SP    REG_DWORD    0x2

ERROR: Netfx3.0 SP1 is not installed

I tried the other things too:

>Winmgmt /verifyrepository
    WMI repository is consistent

>mofcomp "C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet.mof"
    Microsoft (R) MOF Compiler Version 6.1.7100.0
    Copyright (c) Microsoft Corp. 1997-2006. All rights reserved.
    File 'C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet.mof"' not found!

Another thing to note is that Visual Studio 2008 installer reports dotNet 3.5 is installed, as do Turn off Windows Features.

Any help in solving this?

Oh yes, and the dotNet verifier also fails with some unknown error.
    The last entries in the log file says as follows:

[05/29/09,20:16:32] Section [Registry GE - .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 (Wow6432Node)] - stop parsing entries
    [05/29/09,20:16:32] Section [Files - .NET Framework 3.0 SP1AndLater (Common)] - start parsing entries
    [05/29/09,20:16:32] File C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\v3.0\RedistList\FrameworkList.xml is installed on the system
    [05/29/09,20:16:32] Section [Files - .NET Framework 3.0 SP1AndLater (Common)] - stop parsing entries
    [05/29/09,20:16:32] Processing custom action 'Custom Action - .NET Framework 2.0 test application'
    [05/29/09,20:16:32] ExecutablePath = 'Netfx20TestApplication.exe'
    [05/29/09,20:16:32] FriendlyName = '.NET Framework 2.0 test application'
    [05/29/09,20:16:32] TimeoutSeconds = '300'
    [05/29/09,20:16:32] WaitOnExit = 'true'
    [05/29/09,20:16:32] Silent = 'true'
    [05/29/09,20:16:32] Launching process 'Netfx20TestApplication.exe' now
    [05/29/09,20:16:32] Process successfully launched. Waiting 300 seconds for it to complete.
    [05/29/09,20:16:33] Process 'Netfx20TestApplication.exe' exited with return code 0
    [05/29/09,20:16:33] ****ERROR**** Verification failed for product .NET Framework 3.5 SP1
    Friday, May 29, 2009 6:27 PM

Answers

• Hi Natsuki,

Windows 7 (all editions) includes the .NET Framework 3.5.1 as an OS component.  This means you will get the .NET Framework 2.0 SP2, 3.0 SP2 and 3.5 SP1 plus a few post 3.5 SP1 bug fixes.

Repairing .NET Framework 2.0/3.0/3.5 files on Windows 7

You can use the following steps to repair the files that are a part of the .NET Framework 2.0, 3.0 and 3.5 on Windows 7:

- Click on the Start menu , choose All Programs , then Accessories , then right-click on the Command Prompt item and select Run as administrator
    - Click Continue to authorize opening a command prompt with administrative privileges
    - Run this command in the cmd prompt: sfc /scannow
    - The cmd prompt should list text stating "Beginning system scan. This process will take some time."
    - Wait for the scan to complete (this can take several minutes so be patient).  This command will scan all protected system files and replace incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions
    - When the scan completes, the SFC tool will indicate whether or not it found any problems and whether or not it was able to fix them
    - If any errors are reported that SFC was unable to fix, there are steps in this knowledge base article that explain how to locate and attempt to fix the errors

Repairing .NET Framework 2.0/3.0 registry entries on Windows 7

Unfortunately, there is not an easy way of repairing the registry keys/values that are installed by Windows 7 like there is for files. If you want to try to repair the registry keys/values that are a part of the .NET Framework 2.0, 3.0 and 3.5, you will need to run Windows 7 OS setup again and repair the OS.

Thanks

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Edited by YiChun Chen Wednesday, June 3, 2009 3:48 AM typo
    • Marked as answer by YiChun Chen Friday, June 5, 2009 3:37 AM
    Tuesday, June 2, 2009 3:05 AM

All replies

• look ,,,, try to uninstall IIS and Install it Again ,,,,
    Saturday, May 30, 2009 6:02 PM
  • IIS (Internet Information Services) is not installed...
    Sunday, May 31, 2009 2:20 PM
  • look ,, you said its gives you this error message ( you need  Turn of Windows Features )

thats mean there is something install or running in connect with Framework thats you already install so check what you have and uninstall it or see what features on windows 7 need to be turned off its easy problem you can find out but try to be patient and search step by step inside you windows 7 running features ok ;)  try to check in windows 7 documentations or help through microsoft site or msdn help
    Sunday, May 31, 2009 6:11 PM
  • Uhh, I don't think I get all that, but the Turn Off Features (also exists in Vista) can be used to uninstall or just remove stuff from the OS, and if it's in use, it reboots to remove it. And The Turn Off Features dialog just errors me if I try it without actually removing the framework! And as far as I am aware, I am not running any dotNet applications. Does it need to uninstall any other features prior to be uninstalled? I don't know, but I don't think so. For the sake of it, I will try uninstalling the rest of the features that can be uninstalled and then try uninstalling the framework again, but honestly, I don't think it will work.
    Sunday, May 31, 2009 6:18 PM
  • This is the latest updated version of the cleanup utility which contains the options to clean up the .NET Framework 1.0, 1.1, 2.0, 3.0 and 3.5 separately and all versions simultaneously in a single step. Another feature of .Net Framework cleanup tool is it automatically detects whether .Net Framework is part of OS itself or not, if it is then it wont allow you to cleanup .net Framework.

.Net Framework cleanup Utility removes only corrupted .net Framework without interfering with working .Net.

Screenshot of .Net Framework Cleanup Utility

.Net Framework Cleanup Utility

With .Net Clean Utility you can,

Uninstall and Remove .net Framework 1.0, 1.1, 2.0. 3.0, 3.5 as well as beta version of .Net Framework too

Download .Net Cleanup utility to successfully Uninstall/Remove .Net Framework.

• Proposed as answer by HESHAM HEMDAN Sunday, May 31, 2009 6:38 PM
    Sunday, May 31, 2009 6:36 PM
  • am sure inshallah this is will work ,,,, ;)
    Sunday, May 31, 2009 6:38 PM
  • Hi Natsuki,

Windows 7 (all editions) includes the .NET Framework 3.5.1 as an OS component.  This means you will get the .NET Framework 2.0 SP2, 3.0 SP2 and 3.5 SP1 plus a few post 3.5 SP1 bug fixes.

Repairing .NET Framework 2.0/3.0/3.5 files on Windows 7

You can use the following steps to repair the files that are a part of the .NET Framework 2.0, 3.0 and 3.5 on Windows 7:

- Click on the Start menu , choose All Programs , then Accessories , then right-click on the Command Prompt item and select Run as administrator
    - Click Continue to authorize opening a command prompt with administrative privileges
    - Run this command in the cmd prompt: sfc /scannow
    - The cmd prompt should list text stating "Beginning system scan. This process will take some time."
    - Wait for the scan to complete (this can take several minutes so be patient).  This command will scan all protected system files and replace incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions
    - When the scan completes, the SFC tool will indicate whether or not it found any problems and whether or not it was able to fix them
    - If any errors are reported that SFC was unable to fix, there are steps in this knowledge base article that explain how to locate and attempt to fix the errors

Repairing .NET Framework 2.0/3.0 registry entries on Windows 7

Unfortunately, there is not an easy way of repairing the registry keys/values that are installed by Windows 7 like there is for files. If you want to try to repair the registry keys/values that are a part of the .NET Framework 2.0, 3.0 and 3.5, you will need to run Windows 7 OS setup again and repair the OS.

Thanks

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Marked as answer by YiChun Chen Friday, June 5, 2009 3:37 AM
    Tuesday, June 2, 2009 3:05 AM
  • >sfc /scannow

Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
    Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

Why does it have to be so damn hard to repair the dotNet framework?
    Why can't I just REMOVE it and reinstall it?
    Microsoft, you really need to work on these issues -_-
    Tuesday, June 2, 2009 10:11 AM
  • why you didnt try the .Net framework remover i show it for you  maybe its will work ???
    Tuesday, June 2, 2009 10:16 AM
  • I did try. But it didn't work - it didn't show the 3.5 version to cleanup.
    Tuesday, June 2, 2009 3:41 PM
  • Hi Natsuki,

You're right. .NET Framework 3.5 cannot be removed in Windows 7 since it is an OS component inside. So it cannot be directly removed and reinstalled as your expectation.
    And I think that .NET Framework 3.5.1 files are repaired if Verification 100% completes.
    For registry entries reparation , please repair the OS.

If you have any further concern, please feel free to let me know.

Thanks

Wednesday, June 3, 2009 3:43 AM
  • This seems like a rather "poor" solution since there IS no repair option since Vista!
    The only option would be to reinstall the OS itself which is ridiculous.

Unless I'm missing something?
    Thursday, June 4, 2009 9:18 AM
  • look ,,,, why dont you try windows XP professional SP2 thats very well with me here
    Thursday, June 4, 2009 11:53 AM
  • Firstly, I don't want XP.
    Secondly, and most importantly, I don't want to REINSTALL.
    That is what I will do when I get a copy of Windows 7 RTM or when the RC time expires.
    Friday, June 5, 2009 6:04 PM
  • look ,,,, why dont you try windows XP professional SP2 thats very well with me here
    Why do you start every sentence with "look ,,,," what is that?

hi
    Monday, June 8, 2009 2:36 PM
  • Hey YiChun,

Is there a way to do this without completely wiping the machine and re-installing the OS from scratch? I'm currently being affected by this problem as well, as a result of upgrading to Windows 7 with the VS2010/.NET 4 Beta 1 installed. Re-installing really is *not* an option, so I NEED another way to repair this broken mess. I just spent three days getting this machine configured and setup and I had to do the Vista upgrade in order to preserve the drivers. If I wipe the machine and re-install, the machine will be completely unusable because I have no way of getting the proper drivers on the machine. They're not available anywhere.

Please tell me there is some other option than a complete re-install.

- Jeremy
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 12:44 AM
  • Hi Atrophius,

If your issue is caused by corrupted .NET Framework 3.5, you could try the workaround that I posted above to repair it.

I can understand that you don't want to reinstall your OS. If no avail, you might try posting the issue of repairing .NET Framework 3.5 on Windows 7 forums . You can get more useful help there.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen

Tuesday, August 25, 2009 2:20 AM
  • This does NOT work. I have just ruined my system using it. No .NET frameworks will now install, even via Windows / Microsoft Update.
    Monday, February 10, 2014 1:23 PM