The Big Challenge Recruiting – September 2014 RRS feed

• General discussion

• This thread is for recruiting contributors to a new group challenge dropped out from the Monthly Challenges.

This challenge is intended for people who are learning to program together within a group using Small Basic.

Please post your application / suggestions / questions / feedback etc. into this thread that will remain ‘sticky’ for the month.

Also post feedback on the kind of challenges that you want to see more of in the future.

Group Challenge

1. Apply in this thread to create a group (with two or more people) until Aug. 31.
    2. Then create a marionette (or puppet) per group which can be moved by user interaction until Sep. 30.

Picture of a marionette

Do you have an idea for a future big challenge? Please post it here!

Nonki Takahashi

Sunday, August 3, 2014 11:38 PM

All replies

• Does anyone want take a part such as followings for this project?

• to design a marionette (or puppet) graphics
    • to design user interface
    • to code motion dynamics engine
    • to be a coder
    • to write prototype program
    • etc.

Nonki Takahashi

Wednesday, August 6, 2014 8:37 AM
  • I'll take the marionette graphics or UI.

Thanks for organizing this, Nonki!

Ed Price, Azure & Power BI Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Saturday, August 9, 2014 8:16 AM
    Owner
  • I will write a prototype of a motion dynamics engine that could be extended by any team.  I actually already wrote one since it was a fun project and will upload at start of next month.

As usual for me the engine is the most interesting part, so I'm looking for team members with imagination to make more elaborate marionettes, develop better UI control and options etc.

Sunday, August 10, 2014 2:26 PM
  • I'll take the marionette graphics or UI.

Thanks for organizing this, Nonki!

Ed Price, Azure & Power BI Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Welcome, Ed.

Nonki Takahashi

Thursday, August 14, 2014 2:26 AM
  • Litdev, great!

Nonki Takahashi

Thursday, August 14, 2014 2:26 AM
  • How about putting a like / don't like counter on the ui using ldgamedata or highscore extension.

Also there's some good soundtracks available for this. I had a quick look and found some with cultural context, e.g. a nice one by sukuru, one with bagpipes and one hillbilly style.

Wednesday, August 20, 2014 9:04 PM
  • LitDev, that's fantastic!

Wednesday, August 20, 2014 11:35 PM
    Owner
  • How about putting a like / don't like counter on the ui using ldgamedata or highscore extension.

Also there's some good soundtracks available for this. I had a quick look and found some with cultural context, e.g. a nice one by sukuru, one with bagpipes and one hillbilly style.

Good ideas. What would the like /don't like counter do for a marionette simulation?

Thanks!

Wednesday, August 20, 2014 11:36 PM
    Owner
  • I was thinking it would just tally the amount of likes and dislikes, store the value in the cloud and return an updated value as prompted by the program. A bit like facebook likes or upvoting.

So perhaps using LDHighScore, 1 for likes and 1 for dislikes.

Program starts, d/load highscore and show on screen. This could be updated at regular intervals as the program runs. (would need a b/ground thread for this because d/loads are slow and would interrupt the main loop).

Click a like, the event flags a timer.resume(), d/load the highscore, add 1 to it, then upload this to highscore.

Gee, it might work! I'll code it up using button clicks that flag to a main loop. I could test it in a simple step up game I made months ago.

Anyone see any can't do issues with this?

Then teams, if they wish, could build it in to their production.

Thursday, August 21, 2014 7:24 AM
  • Here's a sample of what I was thinking: DHQ128

I think it's an interesting feature because it displays a product metric, i.e. an indication of how popular or unpopular the program is.

It contains a test for any interruption to the UI thread. Result = OK.

If there's a timeout issue I think a simple change can fix.

Currently it has 17 likes and 16 dislikes.

If you like it, run it and vote it up.

19/17 @ 26/8/2014 :)
    Thursday, August 21, 2014 12:16 PM
  • Have you read following special blog article written by litdev?  That's really great.

Small Basic - Physics for Marionette Challenge

Nonki Takahashi

Tuesday, August 26, 2014 8:27 AM
  • I have suggestions for this challenge.

1. The teams may be virtual.  So, if there are two graphics designers, other stuff may common.
    2. I can make bitmaps from your design (picture).

Ed already applied to design graphics or UI.  Are there anyone who'd like to design a marionette graphics?  A design may be a bitmap file (.bmp, .png, ... etc.) drawn with your favorite tool (Paint, digital camera, ... etc.).  That will be a person, an animal, a monster, etc.

Nonki Takahashi

Tuesday, August 26, 2014 8:43 AM
  • Please look at the prototype VTD423 written by litdev!

Screen shot of a program PROTOTYPE MARIONETTE PROGRAM

Nonki Takahashi

Friday, August 29, 2014 4:25 PM
  • I think it's better to have at least four angles of the graphics - front, back, right, left.

Nonki Takahashi

Friday, August 29, 2014 4:27 PM
  • Thank you everyone.

I'd like to lock this thread.

Please use following thread to continue this project.
    The Big Challenge - September 2014

Nonki Takahashi

Monday, September 1, 2014 8:14 AM