Can't run Metro Control Panel

Question

• Sorry for my bad English.

After a while of exploring Metro Start Menu, my Control Panel tile & Store tile have been disappeared. Now I can't run the Control Panel when I select my user picture and then select "Change user tile", or select any settings from the Search menu.

Anyone can help me to solve this problem ?

Friday, September 16, 2011 2:34 AM

Answers

• Le Cao Nguyen,

There are other ways to Refresh you PC without effecting your files. It will reinstall Windows but keep your personal data.  Any 3rd party software will need to be reinstalled.

1.Pressing F8 at boot takes you straight into the menu

2.Click on Troubleshoot

3.Click on Refresh your PC

4.Follow on screen guide.  You might need your installation media.

Friday, October 14, 2011 1:26 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• Hi Le,

Did you get any error message?
    Please, open the Registry editor an go to: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Launcher.SystemSettings (The first one)

Tell me how many keys and sub keys are there and what their names?

Friday, September 16, 2011 2:54 AM
  • I only had a problem actually having the picture display for login tile.  I also found the on/off scrollbar switches were not intuitive either but thats just feedback about ux.
    Friday, September 16, 2011 3:27 AM
  • When I select "Change user tile", nothing appears, even an error message.

Friday, September 16, 2011 7:39 AM
  • Hi Le,

Did you get any error message?
    Please, open the Registry editor an go to: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Launcher.SystemSettings (The first one)

Tell me how many keys and sub keys are there and what their names?

This is what it shows. I cannot see the Control Panel as well as the Store tiles in the Start Metro UI Panel. Help me out!
    Friday, September 16, 2011 12:41 PM
  • I'm guessing you unpinned them from the Start screen. They are still available, but are just not "pinned" to the Start screen anymore. You can do either of the foll. to get to them:

1. Click the search charm (Move mouse to bottom left corner, click search OR slide in your finger from the right edge of the screen to show the charms)

2. Start typing in the Start screen to perform search ("settings", or "store" is the string you want to search for)

You can start the apps from here, or if you want to access them more frequently, you can pin them back to the Start screen. Select a tile by right clicking it or selecting it with your finger (tap and drag downwards) and click pin. They'll be available at the end of your list of apps on the Start screen thereafter.

Not being able to open the Control Panel from the user tile may be a transient issue, could you try restarting your PC?

Friday, September 16, 2011 2:55 PM
  • I'm guessing you unpinned them from the Start screen. They are still available, but are just not "pinned" to the Start screen anymore. You can do either of the foll. to get to them:

1. Click the search charm (Move mouse to bottom left corner, click search OR slide in your finger from the right edge of the screen to show the charms)

2. Start typing in the Start screen to perform search ("settings", or "store" is the string you want to search for)

You can start the apps from here, or if you want to access them more frequently, you can pin them back to the Start screen. Select a tile by right clicking it or selecting it with your finger (tap and drag downwards) and click pin. They'll be available at the end of your list of apps on the Start screen thereafter.

Not being able to open the Control Panel from the user tile may be a transient issue, could you try restarting your PC?

Thanks. But I tried it earlier and I don't seem to find it. Store or Control Panel doesn't shows no results in Apps, shows some irrelevant results in settings.
    Friday, September 16, 2011 5:10 PM
  • If you are still having issues, then a refresh may be in order.

Your problem leads me to believe that a refresh of your PC is the best next course of action.
    The refresh may resolve the other issues, but it is most likely to resolve the apps not being pinned error message.

Here is what will happen you when you refresh your PC:
    Your files and personalization settings won't change.
    Your PC settings will be restored to their defaults.
    Apps from Windows Store will be kept. All other apps will be removed.
    Follow the steps below to restore your PC:
    Enter the Start screen
    Click Control Panel
    Click General on the left column
    Under the Refresh your PC without affecting your files, click Get started.

Then follow the instructions that will be displayed on the screen.
    Once the refresh has finished, test to see if you still get the error message.

Marilyn
    Monday, October 3, 2011 2:27 AM
  • i have the same problem, i can't open control panel from 

start screen, it disappeared!

marilyn.. your answer is useless.. how can i refresh my pc 

if i can not find control panel in start screen?? =/

Friday, October 14, 2011 6:24 AM
  • Le Cao Nguyen,

There are other ways to Refresh you PC without effecting your files. It will reinstall Windows but keep your personal data.  Any 3rd party software will need to be reinstalled.

1.Pressing F8 at boot takes you straight into the menu

2.Click on Troubleshoot

3.Click on Refresh your PC

4.Follow on screen guide.  You might need your installation media.

Friday, October 14, 2011 1:26 PM
    Answerer