Performance and App scaling

General discussion

• Not sure were to provide feedback for this so i thought i would start a discussion about it. The biggest issue i have with windows 7 is the fact that i have been running it for so long now that the number of apps installed means that booting from a cold boot grinds my pc to a halt. I Use my PC as a Personal and Developer machine, So i have several sdks, Visual Studio and Sql server install, adobe photoshop and acrobat, and several other apps i use for development. Then i also have all the apps i use for personal stuff, Windows Messenger, Live Mesh, Anti-Virus, Game platforms. After booting i have about 120 processes running. At the moment literally from the time i hit the power button to the time i have logged in and applications are responding in a usable way is about at least 5mins. 

The problem is i'm using a standard sata hard drive and its being hammered but all the process that start when you system starts. Its impossible to tell what disabling them will do so you leave them configured the way they are. I've checked system resources at this point and memory and cpu usage is about 20- 40%. 

So if there is anything you can do in windows 8 that is make it more scalable. In my opinion an OS should boot its bare minimum as quickly as possible, then slowly start everything else. If they user starts to use a program it should have priority over resources so the performance isn't impacted. and anything still starting should be manages to there is always enough bandwidth for the user. It should also take into account the processes that are most often used as a priority for boot order.

Its ok to say stop so much from starting on startup but i guarantee you that there are a lot of non-technical people that wouldn't know how to do this and just sees it as a slow computer/OS

Has anyone tried doing some testing on Windows 8 to see how it scales? 

Tuesday, January 31, 2012 2:46 AM

All replies

• Windows 8 uses a feature called Hybrid-Boot which uses hibernation to speed up booting a lot:

What is Hybrid Boot in Windows 8 and how does it work?

Delivering fast boot times in Windows 8

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Tuesday, January 31, 2012 8:34 PM
  • Also, I *think* that upon logon Windows 8 doesn't process Startup items until you go to the Desktop for the first time. If you stay in "Metro land" initially, the desktop (including your desktop apps) is never loaded at all. 
    Wednesday, February 1, 2012 1:49 AM
  • Metro only with VS2010 and other SDK? I think this is not possible ;)
    "A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Thursday, February 2, 2012 8:44 PM
  • So i took the plung and thought i would upgrade and check out if their was any perf improvements. I booted to the installer and it said for an upgrade you should run it from the OS, so i did this it asked me to reboot after uninstalling MagicDisc so i did that, then the upgrade started but the problem was bit defender killed the install at about about 90%(forgot to disable it). reran the installer and it asked me to reboot again, when i did though it booted back up into the Windows 8 installer and finished the upgrade. It all seems ok except none of my applications show as being installed. the files are their but nothing at all in add remove programs.

I'll try to restore an disk image i took and hope that its enough to test this again, it would have been a good test if the upgrade worked.  I took it with driveimage xml and it can't restore over the booted partition so i need to figure out how to restore it from some sort of bootable. 

Friday, February 3, 2012 3:38 AM