Strange “ContainerNamespace is null or empty” error from [WCF Data Service 5.7] and [Entity Framework 6.1.3] RRS feed

• Question

• I want to retrive data from my database using WCF Data Service 5.7 and and Entity Framework 6.1.3 against MS SQL 2014 in a normal ASP.NET website.

First, I made sure that I am using:

1- Microsoft.OData.EntityFrameworkProvider 1.0.0-beta2 from NuGet Package Manager.

2- Use EntityFrameworkDataService instead of DataService

3- I set config.SetEntitySetAccessRule("*", EntitySetRights.All);

The problem:

1- When I request list of entities as a URL from the data service as the following: localhost:12671/MovieReviewsService.svc

I got normal XML list of entities as usual, but without the XML header and namespaces as shown in the next snapshot: list_of_entities

2- When I try to return list of entities (for example, list of Movies) using the following URL: localhost:12671/MovieReviewsService.svc/Movies

I got this error in the soapshot: (The value returned by IDataServiceMetadataProvider.ContainerNamespace must not be null or empty). the_error_when_trying_to_return_Moviews_or_Reviews_XML

The code of Data Service:

[System.ServiceModel.ServiceBehavior(IncludeExceptionDetailInFaults = true)]
    public class MovieReviewsService : EntityFrameworkDataService<MovieReviewsEntities>
    {
       public static void InitializeService(DataServiceConfiguration config)
       {
          config.SetEntitySetAccessRule("*", EntitySetRights.All);
          config.DataServiceBehavior.MaxProtocolVersion = DataServiceProtocolVersion.V3;
          config.UseVerboseErrors = true;
       }
    }

Project Sample: (from my OneDrive) 

My MoiveReviews WCF Data Service Sample Project

MS SQL (database and data) file for MovieReviewsDatabase: (from my OneDrive) 

Movies Reviews Database .SQL File

Edit:

Thanks for reply.

I have just tried change the project from normal asp.net to web application, and it works.

But that is weird !

• Edited by khalednet85 Saturday, February 27, 2016 9:59 AM Tried Web Application instead of normal ASP.NET website
    Saturday, February 27, 2016 7:33 AM

All replies

• I want to retrive data from my database using WCF Data Service 5.7 and and Entity Framework 6.1.3 against MS SQL 2014 in a normal ASP.NET website.

First, I made sure that I am using:

1- Microsoft.OData.EntityFrameworkProvider 1.0.0-beta2 from NuGet Package Manager.

2- Use EntityFrameworkDataService instead of DataService

3- I set config.SetEntitySetAccessRule("*", EntitySetRights.All);

The problem:

1- When I request list of entities as a URL from the data service as the following: localhost:12671/MovieReviewsService.svc

I got normal XML list of entities as usual, but without the XML header and namespaces as shown in the next snapshot: list_of_entities

2- When I try to return list of entities (for example, list of Movies) using the following URL: localhost:12671/MovieReviewsService.svc/Movies

I got this error in the soapshot: (The value returned by IDataServiceMetadataProvider.ContainerNamespace must not be null or empty). the_error_when_trying_to_return_Moviews_or_Reviews_XML

The code of Data Service:

[System.ServiceModel.ServiceBehavior(IncludeExceptionDetailInFaults = true)]
    public class MovieReviewsService : EntityFrameworkDataService<MovieReviewsEntities>
    {
       public static void InitializeService(DataServiceConfiguration config)
       {
          config.SetEntitySetAccessRule("*", EntitySetRights.All);
          config.DataServiceBehavior.MaxProtocolVersion = DataServiceProtocolVersion.V3;
          config.UseVerboseErrors = true;
       }
    }

Project Sample: (from my OneDrive) 

My MoiveReviews WCF Data Service Sample Project

MS SQL (database and data) file for MovieReviewsDatabase: (from my OneDrive) 

Movies Reviews Database .SQL File

Friday, February 26, 2016 7:48 PM
  • One learns not to use EF directly by any type  of service and leave the EF entitles behind and send DTO(s).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_transfer_object

That's why there are solutions like what is in the link.

https://entitiestodtos.codeplex.com/

You'll get better support at the below forum.

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=adodotnetdataservices

Saturday, February 27, 2016 1:46 AM
  • Thanks for reply.

I think I have a clue.

If I change the project from normal asp.net to web application, it works. But that is weird !

Saturday, February 27, 2016 9:57 AM