Failed to map the path '/'. RRS feed

• Question

• User1554304974 posted
    Hi, I've just got a new computer and have moved my Web Applications from the old XP over to my new Win 7 machine. When I run my the applicatinos, I get an error that says "Failed to map the path '/'.". Line 130: Line 131: // Get encryption and decryption key information from the configuration. Line 132: Configuration cfg = Line 133: WebConfigurationManager.OpenWebConfiguration(System.Web.Hosting.HostingEnvironment.ApplicationVirtualPath); Line 134: machineKey = (MachineKeySection)cfg.GetSection("system.web/machineKey"); I'v read several answers to this, and they all say that we should run VS as administrator. But my colleague runs the same applications, with the same settings on his similar computer/system, without running it as administrator. So my thought is that it must be possible to solve this withour running VS as administrator. Does anybody know why and perhaps how to solve it? Thanks you in advance.
    Monday, January 18, 2010 8:07 AM

Answers

• User176332441 posted

what i can say is,

Either you had created something based on your xp machine key, and when you moved to win 7 system it is conflicting.

Or. permission settings are different in vista and windows 7 , y donot you try to create a seperate application in a different folder other than the wwwroot and try it to run using IIS, try the same using visual studio...

hope it helps 

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 9:44 AM
  • User1554304974 posted
    Hi, One of our other issues, was to publish the solution to our web server (which is not in the domain), when VS was runned as Administrator. The error occurs when IIS is installed. The installation process affects the WebDev server as well. Our solution was in this article. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee844140(WS.10).aspx
    Wednesday, January 27, 2010 4:21 AM

All replies

• User176332441 posted

are you encrypting and decrypting in your application 

Monday, January 18, 2010 8:50 AM
  • User1554304974 posted
    No, we've not encrypted any of the sites we've made. So I could comment the lines that errors, but I'm so curious why my colleague doesn't need to do it when we have the same settings. The only different is that I have system and network users added to the security for the projectfolder, I run this folder as the home directory for my Default Web Site in IIS.
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 2:50 AM
  • User176332441 posted

what i can say is,

Either you had created something based on your xp machine key, and when you moved to win 7 system it is conflicting.

Or. permission settings are different in vista and windows 7 , y donot you try to create a seperate application in a different folder other than the wwwroot and try it to run using IIS, try the same using visual studio...

hope it helps 

Tuesday, January 19, 2010 9:44 AM
  • User1554304974 posted
    Hi, One of our other issues, was to publish the solution to our web server (which is not in the domain), when VS was runned as Administrator. The error occurs when IIS is installed. The installation process affects the WebDev server as well. Our solution was in this article. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee844140(WS.10).aspx
    Wednesday, January 27, 2010 4:21 AM