Program Groups?

Question

• Some programs that I have on my machine have horribly named shortcuts in their program folder. For example: there are 10 'Release Notes', 20 'Uninstall', 3 'Help', and 5 'ReadMe' shortcuts in my start menu. Then I have the Silverlight 3 and Silverlight 4 SDKs on my machine, and they both have a 'Welcome' shortcut that points to different files. The only way I can currently tell which is which it to observe which program group the shortcut is in.

Additionally, sometimes I know what program a tool is associated with, but I forget the name of the tool. So I click All Programs and look at the program group for the program and see what tools are there.

Both of these scenarios appears to be removed from Windows 8 Metro Start Menu with no functional replacement. Am I missing how I would handle this? I can't even mouse-over the icon to get more information about the shortcut.

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 4:13 PM

Answers

• Thanks for the feedback. As a workaround for now, you can open the directory structure of the start menu by right-clicking on the start button and opening it in Explorer. From there, you can rename the shortcuts to make them more descriptive. Your changes should reflect in the modern start menu. Don't forget to check both your user start menu and the All Users start menu folders.

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 5:24 PM

All replies

• Thanks for the feedback. As a workaround for now, you can open the directory structure of the start menu by right-clicking on the start button and opening it in Explorer. From there, you can rename the shortcuts to make them more descriptive. Your changes should reflect in the modern start menu. Don't forget to check both your user start menu and the All Users start menu folders.

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 5:24 PM
  • Hopefully this issue will be resolved in a better way in future builds. I know going forward developers will have to get better about creating shortcuts, and they have from a few years ago thanks to the searchable start menu, but there is still a long way to go and Windows 8 should be able to cope with these issues.

A solution could be as simple as including program groups in the search results. Or you could include the program group as a text line under the icon name in the results if there is a conflict. Or you could put a link in the 'right-click tool bar' at the bottom that contains the name of the program group so we can select an icon to see its group and then have the option of browsing the group that the icon is in. I'm sure there are other ideas and I'd love to hear them.

I think the Metro start menu has a lot of potential and with all that screen real-estate there is plenty of room to make it more powerful than the current Win7 start menu.

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 6:48 PM