Transfer DB backup files RRS feed

• Question

• hi,

weekly once need to refresh(sync) on-premises (local)  database by using Production Database backup file( is in cloud).

existing  DR Backup setup Daily Full / every 5min Log backup-- ( FTP this Full Backup File & transfer this to local & update ).

how to minimize this Transfer cost?  

monthly one full Backup & daily one Diff backup-- ( FTP one full backup monthly once & transfer Daily Diff ? )

Do any one know cost of 30GB of file transfer from google VM to local on-premises server?

Monday, September 24, 2018 12:48 PM

All replies

• you can implement backup with compression to bring down te cost

Ramesh Babu Vavilla MCTS,MSBI

Monday, September 24, 2018 12:57 PM
  • Hi KIRUBAKARAN J A,

According to your description, my understanding is that you want you know the time it takes to transfer backups from your VM to a local server and how to minimize it. If anything is misunderstood, please tell me.

The time spent depends on several factors such as bandwidth, hard driver performance, etc. Geographical distance also plays an important factor in Server/Client services. If the FTP server sits on the same physical network, the download delays will be minimal. But if the server sits on the other side of the world, the download delays will increase.

You could split your backup and transfer multiple files at one time to optimize FTP speed. In the Backup panel, specify the database that is used for the backup and the backup type (full or differential). To specify multiple backup paths, click Add button.

Best Regards
    Puzzle
    MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Tuesday, September 25, 2018 8:08 AM
  • already in compressed & tried split DB into multiple parts... whatever i need to spend 30GB of cost for transfer ....

My query : is there any other way to minimize this GB files ?

see, For Example,  week on week transfer full backup files (4* 30 GB) = total 120GB /PM

if i transfer monthly once full & remaining Diff (15GB) will trasfer =  4* 15= 60GB + 30GB(full)   so total 90GB/PM

Tuesday, September 25, 2018 10:17 AM
  • Hi KIRUBAKARAN J A,

Based on my test, I cannot find another way to minimize backup size in SQL Server. You could try to do incremental backups of your files to reduce the backup size. Please refer to this blog about using ROBOCOPY command to do an incremental backup.

Best Regards
    Puzzle
    MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

• Edited by Puzzle_Chen Wednesday, September 26, 2018 8:42 AM
    Wednesday, September 26, 2018 8:40 AM