Saving Documents to Local Drive: Password prompt RRS feed

• Question

• We use sharepoint to save all our word documents. Since not all of the business users have access to this sharepoint site we download and save a copy of the document to the local network drive. The document is then attached and send my email to the users.

All users who dont have access to this sharepoint site are being prompted for a username/password when trying to open the local copy that was saved to the network. Several users are starting to complain about this. They have to hit cancel several times to access the document. Is there is some kind of setting that I need to change when saving the word document from sharepoint so that doesnt prompt for username/password?

Thanks,

George

Friday, February 24, 2012 8:48 PM

All replies

• Hi George,

It seems that something is still related to the site from where you have downloaded it.

I think you are clicking on the document then you are downloading to your network location. I would suggest you to go to the dropdown of document --> Send To--> Download a Copy and then select a location where it needs to be downloaded.

Try this and do let me know.

If the above method does not work then try opening the document library in explorer view and copy down the documents.

I hope this will help you out.

Thanks, Rahul Rashu

Saturday, February 25, 2012 8:03 PM
  • Thanks for the reply Rahul.

Unfortunately I tried downloading a copy but that didnt work. it still prompted for a username and password.

I will try the second option of the explorer view.

Thanks,
    George

Monday, February 27, 2012 4:58 PM
  • Thanks for the reply. It does seem that this is the way it was designed to work. Our Sharepoint admin is trying to figure out if there is a workaround to the issue.

Regards,

George

Sunday, March 4, 2012 8:43 PM