Windows Developer Preview freezes for about 10 minutes and then begins working normally again

Question

• I am having same issue here. This is my set up

Dual boot-windows 7 on MBR disk and windows 8 DP(64bit) on separate GUID disk.

Gigabyte motherboard g41-MT-d3V/ Quad core Q8300  with  8Gb DDR3 memory. At first i though it was my onboard graphic the problem, so i bought a new Nvidea card 9th series and the same issue. re0installed from scratch same issue. it freezes every now and then and last for about 10 minutes then  comes back .the only thing that stays moving is the mouse. When using task manager the screen goes black.

Tuesday, December 06, 2011 4:13 PM

Answers

• Hey Thetruth,

I've split your response into a new thread since you are seeing this problem on different hardware than the original thread. If you are seeing this message through your email you can access your new thread by visiting the MSDN forums, logging into your account, and clicking the My Threads link displayed in the right column of the page.

Try visiting the link below to download and install the latest drivers for your motherboard related devices.
    GIGABYTE - Support & Downloads

If a driver isn't able to install successfully, try using the compatibility troubleshooter to see if it can help the driver to install properly. The compatibility troubleshooter can be opened by:

• Enter the Start screen
    • Move your mouse to the bottom left of the screen to expand the Charms section
    • Select Search
    • Type Compatibility
    • Click Settings in the right column
    • Click Run programs made for previous versions of Windows

Then follow the prompts and direct the troubleshooter to the installer for your computer's driver. You will likely want to choose the choice for This program worked in earlier versions of Windows but won't install or run now when it is given if the latest driver is only applicable to a different version of Windows.

If installing the latest drivers doesn't resolve this problem, try checking to see if a more recent version of your motherboard's BIOS is available from the link above. Instructions for how to update your motherboard's BIOS should be available in your user manual or on your computer/motherboard provider's website.

Modifying BIOS/ complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) or Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring of BIOS/CMOS/UEFI settings can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

Hope that helps.

Steven
    Friday, December 09, 2011 11:33 PM

All replies

• Hey Thetruth,

I've split your response into a new thread since you are seeing this problem on different hardware than the original thread. If you are seeing this message through your email you can access your new thread by visiting the MSDN forums, logging into your account, and clicking the My Threads link displayed in the right column of the page.

Try visiting the link below to download and install the latest drivers for your motherboard related devices.
    GIGABYTE - Support & Downloads

If a driver isn't able to install successfully, try using the compatibility troubleshooter to see if it can help the driver to install properly. The compatibility troubleshooter can be opened by:

• Enter the Start screen
    • Move your mouse to the bottom left of the screen to expand the Charms section
    • Select Search
    • Type Compatibility
    • Click Settings in the right column
    • Click Run programs made for previous versions of Windows

Then follow the prompts and direct the troubleshooter to the installer for your computer's driver. You will likely want to choose the choice for This program worked in earlier versions of Windows but won't install or run now when it is given if the latest driver is only applicable to a different version of Windows.

If installing the latest drivers doesn't resolve this problem, try checking to see if a more recent version of your motherboard's BIOS is available from the link above. Instructions for how to update your motherboard's BIOS should be available in your user manual or on your computer/motherboard provider's website.

Modifying BIOS/ complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) or Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring of BIOS/CMOS/UEFI settings can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

Hope that helps.

Steven
    Friday, December 09, 2011 11:33 PM
  • I have several dual boot systems that FREEZE, I found the problem to be the popup IE... does not work properly.... it holds everything. so I found that by installing CC xxx cleaner, then deleteing all the temp cache files when Win8 starts to ack up... that removes all the xxx from the IE Browser.. popup...

seem on my system anyway, that it does not work proper with Live EMail, it always use the IE POPUP to move to the link.... and ohly holds about 8 or 9 pages.

CC will clean all that... yes, even many time when you use the right click to try an close all the pages - it freezes but I can go back to start page - click CC and run. works 95% of the time.  I have nothing that is not compatible,  or so Win 8 test says...

I have the latest Bios from manufacture, I have flashed all HDDs with the latest Firmware.... I use only drivers from Manufacture unless M$ forces the update.

I have no problems in Windows 7... you might give CC a try it is FREE. and makes my version of 8102 fairly acceptable.

Saturday, December 10, 2011 1:24 AM
  • Hi blue boy,

CC xxxx may not be the only solution, you can delete cache, cookies, temporary internet files using your browser, and by Disk Cleaning through Windows own built in tools. If Windows could do it a bit more securely, why install third party cc xxxxfor it? For your freezing issue,  Steven's solution given above should help.

Irfan
    Sunday, December 11, 2011 2:15 AM