Managed Pipline Mode: Classic - using forms authentication RRS feed

• Question

• User-1398478393 posted

I was wondering if anybody has figured out how to have all requests for .asp pages use the asp.net forms authentication using the Classic pipeline mode?

The reason I don't want to use Integrated is so I don't need to carry 2 web.config files for my applications for the XP developers and Vista developers.  We are testing Vista as a development platform and so far this is hanging us up as our staging/production environments are Win2k3/IIS 6.

Monday, January 29, 2007 2:15 PM

All replies

• User511787461 posted

You can have the same web.config which can be used in classic/inegrated mode in vista as well a downlevel - look at this post for an example of how to create such web.config file - http://forums.iis.net/ShowThread.aspx?PostID=1528521&PermaPostID=1528521#1528521

To have all requests go to asp.net in classic mode, you have to do the same thing as in previous IIS versions, register aspnet_isapi.dll as a wildcard application mapping (or *-ScriptMap) - the config entry would look something like
    <handlers>
      <add name="Aspnet-Wildcard" path="*" verb="*" modules="IsapiModule" scriptProcessor="...\aspnet_isapi.dll" requireAccess="None" resourceType="Unspecified" preCondition="classicMode,runtimeVersionv2.0" />
    </handlers>
    of course, you may to have to add addtional lines to handle different asp.net versions/bitness, if you want to.

Monday, January 29, 2007 3:51 PM
  • User1356161706 posted

Another option if you want to use Integrated Mode:

If you use ASP.NET 2.0 you should be covered because ASP.NET ignores the system.webServer section due to this entry in machine.config:

<section name="system.webServer" type="System.Configuration.IgnoreSection, System.Configuration, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a" />

If you use ASP.NET 1.1 you can put the same entry in its machine.config file and ASP.NET 1.1 will simply ignore IIS <system.webServer> entries in your web.config files. This allows you to work in Integrated Mode on IIS7 and continue to work as usual on XP and W2K3.

Tuesday, January 30, 2007 12:55 AM