Visual J# 1.1 Redistributables XP Embedded RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a component for XP Embedded for Visual J# 1.1 Redist. available?
    Wednesday, November 15, 2006 5:06 PM

Answers

• Unfortunately we dont have J# Redist for XP embedded.

What are the scenarios that you are trying to enable?

Thanks,

Varun

Thursday, November 23, 2006 5:03 AM
  • Hello:

The issue is:  I have taken the redistributable package for J# and created a custom component for XP Embedded (XPE) that will runonce during the First Time Boot Agent.  The problem is the .net 2.0 XP Embedded (XPE) component is incompatible with the .net 1.1 XPE component.  I opt to load the XPE .net 2.0 component for the image.  The customer / 3rd party application developers require the J# redistributables which in turn requires the .net 1.1 component.

My current question is, how do I load both the XPE .net 1.1 & .net 2.0 components?  If not possible how do I load the J# redist. with only .net 2.0 XPE component.

Thanks for you help.

Monday, December 4, 2006 9:50 PM
  • Hi,

If you have built your assembly on 2.0 Framework then there is no way you can run it on Fx 1.1. This is true irrespective of the language you have chosen for coding, i mean a C# assembly built in 2.0, can't be run on 1.1. The reason is that 2.0 aseembly metadata has changed from 1.1. That's why even if you write a config file to redirect to 1.1 and run your asembly, you will get a BadImageFormatException.

Now coming back to your problem, i am not getting following statement completely...

"The customer / 3rd party application developers require the J# redistributables which in turn requires the .net 1.1 component"

Does this statement mean that the customers are using J# 1.1 redist then i would suggest to use redist 2.0. 2.0 is fully backward compatible with 1.1. If that is not possible then you can...

1. Build your component on 1.1. Any assembly built on 1.1 can be run on 2.0 as it is.

2. Have two versions of your component if you are using features only available in 2.0 (e.g. generics).

Thanks.

Tuesday, December 5, 2006 3:56 AM

All replies

• Unfortunately we dont have J# Redist for XP embedded.

What are the scenarios that you are trying to enable?

Thanks,

Varun

Thursday, November 23, 2006 5:03 AM
  • Hello:

The issue is:  I have taken the redistributable package for J# and created a custom component for XP Embedded (XPE) that will runonce during the First Time Boot Agent.  The problem is the .net 2.0 XP Embedded (XPE) component is incompatible with the .net 1.1 XPE component.  I opt to load the XPE .net 2.0 component for the image.  The customer / 3rd party application developers require the J# redistributables which in turn requires the .net 1.1 component.

My current question is, how do I load both the XPE .net 1.1 & .net 2.0 components?  If not possible how do I load the J# redist. with only .net 2.0 XPE component.

Thanks for you help.

Monday, December 4, 2006 9:50 PM
  • Hi,

If you have built your assembly on 2.0 Framework then there is no way you can run it on Fx 1.1. This is true irrespective of the language you have chosen for coding, i mean a C# assembly built in 2.0, can't be run on 1.1. The reason is that 2.0 aseembly metadata has changed from 1.1. That's why even if you write a config file to redirect to 1.1 and run your asembly, you will get a BadImageFormatException.

Now coming back to your problem, i am not getting following statement completely...

"The customer / 3rd party application developers require the J# redistributables which in turn requires the .net 1.1 component"

Does this statement mean that the customers are using J# 1.1 redist then i would suggest to use redist 2.0. 2.0 is fully backward compatible with 1.1. If that is not possible then you can...

1. Build your component on 1.1. Any assembly built on 1.1 can be run on 2.0 as it is.

2. Have two versions of your component if you are using features only available in 2.0 (e.g. generics).

Thanks.

Tuesday, December 5, 2006 3:56 AM

I did find the 2.0 redist for J#.  The problem that I had was on the home page there is still a link that indicates J# redist 2.0 is beta 1.

Dave Jones

Tuesday, December 5, 2006 4:29 PM
  • Hi,

Pls check out this link.

Thanks.

Thursday, December 7, 2006 11:38 AM

But I already found it.  I believe the solution is to remvoe the J# redist. 2.0 Beta 1 link on the J# home page.

Dave Jones

Thursday, December 7, 2006 6:16 PM