EW4 -- is my poor performance when loading CSS files for editing typical ? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi --

I am using trial EW4 and having terrible performance problems; rendering the product unusable. Perviously I had been using trial of EW3 with no similar issues.

I am connected to a local web site with less than 10 pages that uses CSS. All actions are very slow (including scrolling).

I have been running the task manager screen get a sense of the resources being consumed

here is typical scenario:

1) start EW4 --- takes 22 sec cpu, working set 103K, 73K page faults

2) open CSS folder  --- nominal changes in resources

3) open a CSS file (about 40 lines)  --- +30 secs of CPU, 1.5M page faults,  working set peaks to 644MB and settles to 375MB

4) scroll to bottom of page --- +33 secs of CPU, 1.5M page faults, -- working set changes up and down but settles at same spot

5) scroll back to top  --- +30 secs cpu, 1.5M page faults -----

During the scrolling operation

the screen does not change until near the end of the 30+ seconds

the EW4 menus and status bar go white once or twice and are finally redrawn.

The System I am running on has

4GB of real memory with over 2GB of it cached thus all the page faults appear to be "soft"

there is 8GB of virtual memory of which about 2.5GB is used

OS is vista 64 bit Ultimate

CPU is AMD Turion 64x2 TL-60 2.00 Ghz

EW4 is 4.0.1165.0

To me, this has the fingerprints of a memory management issue --- too much going on behind the scenes.

I like the features of the product, but it is unusable with this type of performance.

Thanks

Thursday, June 24, 2010 4:55 PM

Answers

• Hi

Update on this problem.

It seems to have "magically" gone away after being with me since I first loaded EW4.

Since the posting the "vista cumulative update for 64bit systems" has taken place along with an update to the .NET framework.  Perhaps the "magic" was somewhere in these updates.

As long as it has gone away, I am happy.

David

Saturday, June 26, 2010 2:18 PM

All replies

• Certainly not typical for me. I'm running EW4 on a 2.79GHz XP box with only 2GB, and I don't see that at all. EW is a little slow to open initially but then is fairly speedy. I opened a CSS file (not mine) that is 807 lines, in a fraction of a second. Also, I can scroll through it as fast as I can spin my scrollwheel. It might be a Vista issue, or could it be virtual memory? If you get it figured out though, rest assured EW4 is just fine for speed.

Jim

Thursday, June 24, 2010 5:08 PM
  • My experience is similar to Jim's Lenovo x200 laptop 4 gig ram Win 7 64bit Ultimate.

What mouse & video card do you have?

MS MVP Expression Tutorials & Help http://by-expression.com
    Thursday, June 24, 2010 5:31 PM
  • Hi

Update on this problem.

It seems to have "magically" gone away after being with me since I first loaded EW4.

Since the posting the "vista cumulative update for 64bit systems" has taken place along with an update to the .NET framework.  Perhaps the "magic" was somewhere in these updates.

As long as it has gone away, I am happy.

David

Saturday, June 26, 2010 2:18 PM
  • Most likely it was the .NET update that fixed it but so long as it is fixed that's what matters.
    Saturday, June 26, 2010 3:36 PM
  • I know this thread is "answered", but I am experiencing nearly the exact same problems as DBraithwaite.

I've verified I have all the latest updates wrt Vista, .NET, and mouse/touchpad drivers.

I've reinstalled EW4 (4.0.1165.0)

My configuration is Vista x64, 4GB memory (+4GB virtual), CPU is AMD Turion x2 RM-72 2.1GHz.

Everything worked great under the EW3, which lead me to buy EW4. So far, no "magic" has been happening for me, so if I don't find a solution by next week, I'll be asking MS for a refund.

General symptoms:

- Sluggish even on a moderate sized html file (300 lines), but certainly usable.

- Once a CSS file gets loaded (of any size more than 2 or 3 definitions big), system lags horribly exactly as described in the original post.

- Same bad performance after loading JS files

- Closing the problem files (after waiting a minute or more to actually have them close), performance returns partially, but not completely.

- All this happens after a fresh reboot and no other sizeable applications running.

Anyone else have any suggestions for something to try?

Tuesday, July 6, 2010 1:07 AM
  • Well, first off, EW 4 was a free upgrade from EW 3, so I don't know why you expect a refund.

Secondly, since there are exceedingly few references to such problems, it's clear that this is a manifestation of problems outside EW 4 (or else everyone would be having the same experience, but they are not). The problems are restricted to these very few computers, so the hunt continues.

If you have updated .NET to the latest, it may be a faulty install of the previous versions that are to blame (.NET grows on previous versions, unlike most other software.). Search MS for a post on removing .NET in the correct order and using the .NET cleanup tool before reinstally it. I'm not saying that that is the problem, but the removal/cleanup/reinstall of .NET is an exacting process.

I note that you say you have 4GB virtual memory and the OP is using 8 GB of virtual memory. Are you both/either setting the paging file size manually? Normally, if it were system-managed, the paging file would not be a fixed number that one would cite, but would change over time as usage requires.

Is all the memory original and matching? bought aftermarket?

I dream of a better world...a world in which a chicken can cross the road without its motives being questioned.
    Tuesday, July 6, 2010 2:37 AM
  • Bill, thanks for your response :)

In order:

1. As I was only using the 60-day trial of EW3, I indeed had to pay for EW4, hence the refund :)

2. No arguments that the problem is outside of EW4.

3. I will definitely attempt the complete .NET cleanup with a do-over... it's about the only thing I haven't tried yet.

4. Computer is managing the virtual memory pool... I was just quoting what it was at the time I inspected it after I experienced the problems. Precisely (at the time), it was 4136MB.

5. Memory (and every component for that matter) is original from the factory.

So, if .NET is as exacting as you suggest, it's as likely as not that is the cause. At present, my computer has .NET 3, .NET 4 (client) and .NET 4 (extended) installed. If everything builds on the previous, I'm guessing that the missing .NET 1 and .NET 2 could be mucking up the works.

Wednesday, July 7, 2010 5:35 PM
  • "So, if .NET is as exacting as you suggest, it's as likely as not that is the cause. At present, my computer has .NET 3, .NET 4 (client) and .NET 4 (extended) installed. If everything builds on the previous, I'm guessing that the missing .NET 1 and .NET 2 could be mucking up the works."

See http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb822049.aspx for Net framework dependancies.

A clean uninstall/reinstall of Net is worth a try.  EW4 does require Net 4.

Wednesday, July 7, 2010 6:14 PM
  • I posted in another thread about this as well. I'm on Vista64 as well and EW4 is 100% unusable for me as well, total junk at the moment and I have not figured out the problem either. I've got 8GB Ram, SSD HD, Radon HD 5800 GPU, Core i7 930...the system screams....but EW4 just eats Ram and redraws like a crippled snail. All other programs and previous versions of EW run just fine.
    Thursday, July 8, 2010 2:13 AM
  • I have Vista 64 and EW4 is absolutely fine on it (as well as on my XP machine).

Thursday, July 8, 2010 2:57 AM
  • FWIW, I set  up my new computer yesterday an i7 processor, 4 gig ram, ssd and EW 4 is faster than on my previous system, both running Win 7 64 bit.
    Thursday, July 8, 2010 6:31 PM
  • Well, I did the complete uninstall and reinstall of the relevant .NET components and service packs for Vista, as described on the MS site. Still extremely sluggish once a .CSS file is loaded for editing. I also tried removing the .NET4 Extended package, on a whim. Program behavior was the same.

So, Eric and I and DBraithwaite are sharing some sort of common problem, as yet undefined. At least DB was able to get his system working, even if it was magic :)

I'm pretty sure it still has to do with .NET 4, but continuing to uninstall and reinstall expecting a different outcome is the surest sign of insanity. So, I surrender, and will just ask for my refund and stick with frontpage. Or, maybe ask if I can transfer the license back to EW3, since that worked just fine, if MS CS is willing to do that.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Saturday, July 10, 2010 11:52 PM
  • One thing I have noticed after reading all these threads is the Windows Vista home premium, 64 bit....with the exception of Kathy, all of us that are havingt this problem have Vista 64...

I have all the systems, have done all the troubleshooting, have cleaned and re-installed the .net framerwork (which takes forever) and nothing helped....

I then got frustrated - went to bed, woke up the next day, and Magically, it was working!  - The very next day, my magic went away.  I agree it is not a problem with EW4 that is systemic, but could this be an issue with EW4 and certain configurations, on certain machines....While not everyone is experiencing this, a lot of people are..... Something is not right....

Also - my EW3 works perfect....so does all other Expression software from the "4" version....Blend 4 - Design 4 - no problems, but EW4 - unusable....

Hope we find a solution soon...or EW5 comes out and works fine.... :) 

Muskrat

Tuesday, December 21, 2010 5:19 PM
  • Actually I'm on Vista Ultimate 64 bit, not home premium, but I doubt it matters.

If everyone on Vista 64 had problems with EW4, there would be more than a handful of people saying they did, and, in contrast, I am not the only Vista 64 bit user on this forum who has no issues.

...Just sayin'

Tuesday, December 21, 2010 8:59 PM
  • One of our computers is still running Vista Ultimate 64 and has no problems with EW any version and its got at least 3 versions installed.
    MS MVP Expression Tutorials & Help http://by-expression.com & Expression Web forums
    Wednesday, December 22, 2010 3:34 AM
  • I am havng the same slowness problems with CSS pages as noted here and also when doing pretty much anything in EW4. I also have Vista Home Premium 64bit. I've read the Before Posting - used the cleaner, updated mouse and Nvidia video drivers, system current via Windows Update, Microsofts Virus scanner disabled, installed the Visual Web developer 2010 express.

I have also tried any remedy I've found on the web with no luck - turning off spell check, tunring off Visual Aids, opening from the Site menu, killed the setpoint service on the Logitech mouse, loaded 10 diff types of sites including some made with EW3, etc...no luck.

Much as I'd like to participate in the forum, looks like I might have to ask for a refund or try and switch back to EW3.

Is there a Microsoft or 3rd party utility that I can run that will watch EW4 at level deeper than the task manager that I could use to help find a resolution?

Wednesday, December 22, 2010 11:45 PM
  • Did you have to pay for EW4?  It was a free upgrade for most EW3 users.

I will point out that is is not correct Forum behavior to post the same response and same question on two threads.

Thursday, December 23, 2010 12:30 AM
  • EW4 is a new purchase for me. I was using the trial version of EW3 and really liked it so I purchased EW4.

No worries about the re-postings, will not post anymore copies in other threads on the same issue.

Thursday, December 23, 2010 12:41 AM