none
Does Kinect Studio support multiple Kinects? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I want to use Kinect Studio to record data stream from 2 Kinects and save the data in .xed files. I know that the real time skeleton can only be applied on one Kinect. But what I need is to save all the data and process it offline. So I can do one Kienct data first and then the second. The problem is how to record data from 2 Kiencts at the same time. If that is impossible, I'll have to drive 2 Kiencts with two computer, which sounds pretty awkward. Anyone know the answer? Thanks in advance.

cwhisper

Thursday, July 18, 2013 3:07 AM

Answers

• Kinect Studio(KS) does not have the capability to record from more than one sensor at a time.

You can always save the data off into your own file format if that is required. For the sensor that is going to do Skeletal Tracking(ST), use KS. For the other sensor, after calling the Copy{Color/Depth/Skeleton}DataTo functions, you are free to copy and save that as you would any other file. Keep in mind, you want to record some of the other property values and save that as part of your header.

Carmine Sirignano - MSFT

Thursday, July 18, 2013 5:28 PM

All replies

• Kinect Studio(KS) does not have the capability to record from more than one sensor at a time.

You can always save the data off into your own file format if that is required. For the sensor that is going to do Skeletal Tracking(ST), use KS. For the other sensor, after calling the Copy{Color/Depth/Skeleton}DataTo functions, you are free to copy and save that as you would any other file. Keep in mind, you want to record some of the other property values and save that as part of your header.

Carmine Sirignano - MSFT

Thursday, July 18, 2013 5:28 PM
  • Thanks. I do need to work with ST, which means I do need to work with KS because .xed files can only be used to feed Kinect apps when extracting skeleton. If I somehow save the depth map sequence into my own file, Kienct APIs won't read it. I think this is what you mean for the skeletal tracking.

Is that possible to know the format of the .xed file? I mean if I know the format, I could generate two .xed files for the 2 Kinects at the same time without KS. 

cwhisper

Friday, July 19, 2013 1:28 AM
  • We do not publish the file format and do not provide any api's to write your own.

For your scenario, unfortunately, you will have to record the data to your own file format in an applciation. Since you already get the ST skeletons in your callback, playback of those skeletons would require that you just recreate the skeleton/skeleton joint structure. You would not require to use depth to generate a skeleton from that.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/eb0074c4-358f-4b4c-b2dd-16cfe9b64861/how-to-create-my-own-joint-object-as-the-jointtype-is-internal-set-sdk-10

Carmine Sirignano - MSFT

Friday, July 19, 2013 6:27 PM