none
Copying a Project RRS feed

• Question

• I have a working project. When I copy iit into another folder the form designer disappears. The code remains. Under "View" the "Designer" option disappears.

Why?

I have done this before and it worked

Why?

• Edited by melh233 Thursday, November 9, 2017 6:41 AM
    Thursday, November 9, 2017 6:41 AM

All replies

• If it is about a project then don't open it using the solution file (slt) but with the project file (proj) 

Success
    Cor

Thursday, November 9, 2017 7:35 AM
  • When you say "copy it to another folder" - Does that mean you copy the entire original folder to another one?

I like to make copies of my solutions/projects before I make any significant changes. I'd guess to have copied an entire solution/project 500 times and never had an issue. I just drag the original folder to a blank spot in Windows Explorer and choose "Copy", it makes a folder with the same name and "(1)" or "(2)" etc. I just rename that usually with the date or a version number. Never had an issue even once.

If you will describe how you do the copy, maybe someone can help.

Thursday, November 9, 2017 6:10 PM
  • Is there both a ".vb" and a "Designer.vb" file, as in:

• Form1.Designer.vb
    • Form1.vb

The names must be like that except "Form1" is the name of the form of course. The "Designer.vb" file is what makes it a form. If the file does not exist then that is the problem. If the file exists then there is probably a problem with it.

Can you show us a screenshot of the project as it looks in the Solution Explorer? That might help.

Sam Hobbs
    SimpleSamples.Info

Thursday, November 9, 2017 9:01 PM
  • I have a working project. When I copy iit into another folder the form designer disappears. The code remains. Under "View" the "Designer" option disappears.

Why?

I have done this before and it worked

Why?

Hi mehl233,

What do you mean by disappearing? The From window can be open in visual studio? If you can see this Form window in the Visual Studio, you can click Show All Files, now you can see Designer.vb and resx in the Form below.

If not, can you please describe how to copy the project? it is helpful to us to reproduce your issue.

Best Regards,

Cherry

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Stanly Fan Monday, November 20, 2017 12:56 AM
    Friday, November 10, 2017 1:51 AM