restore from sql vm backup with certificate to azure sql managed instance RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

I have a VM with SQL Server 2016 with a backup that has certificate and key. The .bak file lands in an Azure Blob storage that I was hoping to restore to an Azure SQL Managed Instance.  I referred to these steps in this Migrate TDE Cert link that seemed like it would be the perfect solution. The process to create the .pfx was clear and seemed to work fine.The PowerShell script to load the certificate onto the managed instance ran with out any errors but I cannot actually see if the certificate has been loaded anywhere in either the SSMS connected to the instance or in the Azure console. I then followed these steps in this Restore Code link to restore from the file in the blob storage.  The code produces an error that the back up has a different thumbprint to one in the Managed Instance even after I have completed the Migrate TDE Cert steps.  Referring to this URL indicates that the TDE Certificate is different to the Backup Certificate.  Does anyone know if this is the case; then is there a different process to get the SQL VM Backup Certificate on to the SQL Managed Instance.

Thanks

Binway

Binway

Saturday, May 11, 2019 9:06 AM

Answers

• Well I found the problem.  There was a specific seperate certificate for the Backup that I was unaware of.  Once we got that and followed the process in the Migrate TDE Cert link it all worked fine.  VMs Database has been successfully restored to the SQL Managed Instance in Azure.

Thanks for looking at this.

Binway

Binway

• Marked as answer by Binway Tuesday, May 14, 2019 6:33 AM
    Tuesday, May 14, 2019 6:32 AM

All replies