none
WMI - DCOM 10009 event RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

I have a service that will pull data from WMI on computers on the network.

If a computer is shutdown and WMI connection fails a DCOM Error event 10009 is logged in Windows event log.

Since it is totally legit that the service cannot connect to a computer sometimes, I don't want Windows to turn this into a fatal error.

Is there anyway to suppress logging of this error?

Or some way to circumvent this by testing a connection is possible before trying to make the connection to WMI?

Thanks in advance, Jesper

Tuesday, February 12, 2013 10:35 AM

All replies

• Hi,

DCOM 10009 indicates that the DCOM client located on this <Computer Name> can’t communicate with the DCOM|COM+ server located on that <Target Computer Name>. Please refer a blog below to troubleshoot the error.

#How to troubleshoot DCOM 10009 error logged in system event?

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/asiatech/archive/2010/03/16/how-to-troubleshoot-dcom-10009-error-logged-in-system-event.aspx

Hope this helps.

Best Regards.

Haixia
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Friday, February 15, 2013 9:31 AM
  • Hi, thank you for your reply.

I am aware of what DCOM 10009 is and why it is logged. But since it's in the nature of the service to try and pull data from WMI remote, if the machine is online, and just ignore it if it is not, and continue to next machine. I do not want Windows to turn this into an error that gets logged into the event log, it should be up to me, to decide what severity this error has in my application, and not Windows.

So I'm just looking for a way to make DCOM not log this error, or go around it, like sending a ping first and see if I get a reply before i try to pull dta from WMI.

Jesper

Friday, February 15, 2013 2:11 PM