SQL 2008 Replication Issue RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have configured replication between my two server for particular database. When i monitored the replication it seems crossed marked on it. seems not working. I checked the log and getting following error.

"The replication agent has not logged a progress message in 10 minutes. This might indicate an unresponsive agent or high system activity. Verify that records are being replicated to the destination and that connections to the Subscriber, Publisher, and Distributor are still active."

Also i m not able to delete one of the Publication. Getting Error 1557.

Please help me out...

Thanks

Shailesh

shailesh chauhan
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 7:48 PM

Answers

• It sounds like a permissions issue.  The accounts under which the replication agents run and make connections need a variety of permissions.

Snapshot Agent process account needs to be a member of the db_owner fixed database role in the distribution and publication databases as well as have write permissions on the snapshot share.

The Log Reader Agent process account needs to be a member of the db_owner fixed database role in the distribution and publication databases.

The Distribution Agent process account needs to be a member of the db_owner fixed database role in the distribution and subscription databases, be a member of the PAL, and have read permissions on the snapshot share.

More details can be found in Replication Agent Security Model

Hope this helps.
    www.sqlrepl.com

• Proposed as answer by Peja Tao Thursday, September 29, 2011 3:30 AM
    • Marked as answer by Peja Tao Thursday, October 6, 2011 9:25 AM
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 10:15 PM

All replies

• The Replication agents checkup job runs every 10 minutes by default to check on the status of each replication agent.  If the agents haven't logged any progress messages since the last time the agent checkup job ran, this error will get raised.

This means that the agents are busy or they cannot connect for some reason.  This can be caused by a long running process, login problems caused by permissions, network problems, or other issues.

The publication can be dropped using sp_droppublication.

Hope this helps.
    www.sqlrepl.com

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 8:59 PM
  • Here are the error i m getting

"Unable to start execution of step 2 (reason: Error authenticating proxy domain\administrator, system error: Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password.).  The step failed. ""

"Error messages:
    The job failed.  The Job was invoked by User sa.  The last step to run was step 3 (Detect nonlogged agent shutdown.)."

any clue to start replication ???

thanks

Shailesh

shailesh chauhan
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 10:00 PM
  • It sounds like a permissions issue.  The accounts under which the replication agents run and make connections need a variety of permissions.

Snapshot Agent process account needs to be a member of the db_owner fixed database role in the distribution and publication databases as well as have write permissions on the snapshot share.

The Log Reader Agent process account needs to be a member of the db_owner fixed database role in the distribution and publication databases.

The Distribution Agent process account needs to be a member of the db_owner fixed database role in the distribution and subscription databases, be a member of the PAL, and have read permissions on the snapshot share.

More details can be found in Replication Agent Security Model

Hope this helps.
    www.sqlrepl.com

• Proposed as answer by Peja Tao Thursday, September 29, 2011 3:30 AM
    • Marked as answer by Peja Tao Thursday, October 6, 2011 9:25 AM
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 10:15 PM