none
WRL Class Library Project Template RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to check out WRL by following this walkthrough using Visual Studio 2013. A part of the instructions has a link to this instructions which is to create a project using the WRL class library project template. The problem is I cannot find the said project template. I saw this post in SO that gives a link to the visual studio gallery but I'm getting a "This item is not yet published" error on the link. Thank you.

Monday, January 19, 2015 10:00 PM

Answers

All replies

• Which version of Visual Studio do you have? You require 2013, but I don't think all the Express versions support WRL. Ideally, you should be using 2013 Community Edition.
    Monday, January 19, 2015 10:11 PM
  • I'm using Visual Studio 2013 Premium Edition with Update 4.
    Monday, January 19, 2015 10:13 PM
  • I agree with you. The online WRL Class Template doesn't appear to be available any longer.

On the other hand, this web page describes what comprises the project template. Simply create a Windows Runtime Component project and modify accordingly.

Monday, January 19, 2015 10:29 PM
  • Yeah, I'm just hunting down the project settings to try to manually set it up. I can't even find the Window Runtime component project (not sure if it's because I'm using Windows 7).
    Monday, January 19, 2015 10:52 PM
  • I suspect you'll require Windows 8 or 8.1 to build a Windows Runtime component, but that's just off the top of my head.

The Windows Runtime Component project template is found under the Store Apps folder in the "New Project" dialog box.

Tuesday, January 20, 2015 3:14 AM
  • @ rcastillosk,

Brian's suggestion is correct for this issue, this project type requires the windows Store app Environment.

We can't develop Windows Store apps on Windows 7.

Have a nice day,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, January 20, 2015 10:06 AM
  • Yeah, I was basically trying to use WRL to develop a way to expose a native C++ DLL via COM so that I can use it in a C# WPF application. We're not really concerned on developing a Store App.

We've decided to try out C++/CX instead and try to use it as a wrapper for the native C++ DLL. I also, created a Window 8.1 virtual machine, so now I was able to create a Windows Runtime Component project.

Although, if anyone ever come across the same problem, using a web page history website, I was able to find this link (http://visualstudiogallery.msdn.microsoft.com/346e6fbc-6508-43c8-af7f-9a922bb57128/file/72996/2/WRLVSIXProject.vsix) to the VSIX installer.

Friday, January 23, 2015 5:43 PM
  • Thanks for that link.

Unfortunately VS2015 doesn't open that vsix file, but fear not, there is a way to get to its content.

An .vsix file is just a zip file, so you just need to change its extension from .vsix to .zip.

Monday, December 21, 2015 5:29 PM