none
OutlookAddIn dissapears on update RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I have several clients (Outlook 2014) that uses my Dotnet OutlookAddIn.

Often when I update my plugin and deploy it, several users dosn't have the pluing anymore when they start Outlook.

LoadBehavior is 3 in registry, so that should be fine.

Only solution I have atm is uninstalling it and reinstalling it.

Is dotnet OutlookAddIn so buggy? Any idea what is causing this?

Thx

Thursday, May 21, 2015 11:24 AM

Answers

• Hello Mojo,

There can be various issues, the most widely spread one is described below.

Microsoft Office applications can disable add-ins that behave unexpectedly. If an application does not load your add-in, the application might have hard disabled or soft disabled your add-in.

Hard disabling can occur when an add-in causes the application to close unexpectedly. It might also occur on your development computer if you stop the debugger while the Startup event handler in your add-in is executing.

Soft disabling can occur when an add-in produces an error that does not cause the application to unexpectedly close. For example, an application might soft disable an add-in if it throws an unhandled exception while the Startup event handler is executing.

When you re-enable a soft-disabled add-in, the application immediately attempts to load the add-in. If the problem that initially caused the application to soft disable the add-in has not been fixed, the application will soft disable the add-in again. 

Read more about that in the How to: Re-enable an Add-in That Has Been Disabled article. 

Also make sure that you included all the required prerequisites to the add-in installer. Did you have a chance to check out the Trust Center settings in Outlook? 

Finally, you may find the Troubleshooting COM Add-In load failures page helpful. 

Thursday, May 21, 2015 11:40 AM
  • Nobody guarantee that exceptions are thrown constantly. They may be fired when you update the add-in and some of the prerequisites are missed. Also I'd recommend checking out the Trust Center settings in Outlook.

BTW Do you get any UI errors in Outlook? See How to: Show Add-in User Interface Errors for more information. 

Thursday, May 21, 2015 12:48 PM

All replies

• Hello Mojo,

There can be various issues, the most widely spread one is described below.

Microsoft Office applications can disable add-ins that behave unexpectedly. If an application does not load your add-in, the application might have hard disabled or soft disabled your add-in.

Hard disabling can occur when an add-in causes the application to close unexpectedly. It might also occur on your development computer if you stop the debugger while the Startup event handler in your add-in is executing.

Soft disabling can occur when an add-in produces an error that does not cause the application to unexpectedly close. For example, an application might soft disable an add-in if it throws an unhandled exception while the Startup event handler is executing.

When you re-enable a soft-disabled add-in, the application immediately attempts to load the add-in. If the problem that initially caused the application to soft disable the add-in has not been fixed, the application will soft disable the add-in again. 

Read more about that in the How to: Re-enable an Add-in That Has Been Disabled article. 

Also make sure that you included all the required prerequisites to the add-in installer. Did you have a chance to check out the Trust Center settings in Outlook? 

Finally, you may find the Troubleshooting COM Add-In load failures page helpful. 

Thursday, May 21, 2015 11:40 AM
  • Thanks - I will look at all your links!! :)

I'm just thinking, if my app update makes Outlook disable it, how come it then works fine if I reinstall it?

To me it seams like an MS bug.

Thx

Thursday, May 21, 2015 11:43 AM
  • To me it seams like an MS bug.

I don't think so. MS just try to prevent Outlook from crashing due to a bad written add-in. It may indicate that an add-in fires an exception at runtime. I'd suggest adding any logging mechanisms to the code to find the exact cause. See the Troubleshooting COM Add-In load failures page for more information.

Thursday, May 21, 2015 12:20 PM
  • Yeah but then again, if it was a bad written add-in with exceptions, they don't go away by reinstalling it, then it should crash also when reinstalled - which it doesn't ... it works perfectly when reinstalled.

But what do I know? :)

Thanks for your link, I will read it carefully.

• Edited by M O J O Thursday, May 21, 2015 12:26 PM
    Thursday, May 21, 2015 12:26 PM
  • Nobody guarantee that exceptions are thrown constantly. They may be fired when you update the add-in and some of the prerequisites are missed. Also I'd recommend checking out the Trust Center settings in Outlook.

BTW Do you get any UI errors in Outlook? See How to: Show Add-in User Interface Errors for more information. 

Thursday, May 21, 2015 12:48 PM