none
Read excel file in C# VS 2005? Do I need install microsoft excel on the server? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,
    I will read an excel in VS 2005 C# and output to Oracle table. I will create a dll exe. The exe put on the server and get traditional asp page to call it. Do I need install the microsoft excel application on the server 2000. Please help!
    Wednesday, October 7, 2009 10:28 PM

Answers

• Microsoft Excel isn't required if you're using a data access method, such as the Jet or ACE OLEDB Provider with the Excel ISAM driver or the Excel ODBC driver.

If you're using Excel automation then yes the Excel application would need to be installed. However, installing Excel in a server environment and using it from ASP/ASP.NET and windows and web services is typically not a good idea. You also need to be aware of licensing issues.

Paul ~~~~ Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)
    • Marked as answer by Yichun_Feng Wednesday, October 14, 2009 1:14 AM
    Thursday, October 8, 2009 12:08 AM
  • It depends on how you read the file. If you use OLEDB provider (Jet or ACE) then no, you do not need the Excel installed at all, but you need to be siue that OLEDB provider is installed on that PC.
    Val Mazur (MVP) http://www.xporttools.net
    Thursday, October 8, 2009 10:28 AM

All replies

• Microsoft Excel isn't required if you're using a data access method, such as the Jet or ACE OLEDB Provider with the Excel ISAM driver or the Excel ODBC driver.

If you're using Excel automation then yes the Excel application would need to be installed. However, installing Excel in a server environment and using it from ASP/ASP.NET and windows and web services is typically not a good idea. You also need to be aware of licensing issues.

Paul ~~~~ Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)
    Thursday, October 8, 2009 12:08 AM
  • It depends on how you read the file. If you use OLEDB provider (Jet or ACE) then no, you do not need the Excel installed at all, but you need to be siue that OLEDB provider is installed on that PC.
    Val Mazur (MVP) http://www.xporttools.net
    Thursday, October 8, 2009 10:28 AM