none
"Corruption in database" message for DB that does not exist? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm just wondering if anyone has ever seen this before... I'm getting a message "Corruption in database ID 140716013518856, object ID 60 possibly due to schema or catalog inconsistency. Run DBCC CHECKCATALOG." in alerts and the SQL server log.

There's just one little problem: I have no database with ID 140716013518856!  In fact if I run SELECT DB_NAME(140716013518856) I get an arithmetic overflow error.  Even weirder, the number varies a bit, but is always many orders of magnitude above the highest actual DB ID number we have.

I can run DBCC CHECKDB on all the databases and don't get errors for any of them.

This is on SQL server 2016 standard, and began about 2 weeks ago when we had a power outage.  I get the messages several times a day.

Thursday, April 18, 2019 11:27 AM

All replies

• Where does the message show up? In SQL Logs?

What is the output of this query:

USE [master];
    GO
    SELECT * from sysdatabases

Do any 'mystery' databases show up there?

BTW, have you applied the latest SQL Service Pack to fix any known bugs that might me causing problems?
    Microsoft SQL Server 2016 Service Pack 2 (SP2)

HTH,  

Phil Streiff, MCDBA, MCITP, MCSA

Thursday, April 18, 2019 12:02 PM
  • share result in error log,event log, what is storage type ? make sure that there lasted service packs.

select @@version

It is local disk or remote disk, if dedicate storage team then check for storage logs.

If local disk is there then take help of windows team.

select * from msdb.dbo.suspect_pages

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/37872.sql-server-installation-on-centos-linux.aspx

Thursday, April 18, 2019 5:34 PM
  • Where does the message show up? In SQL Logs?

What is the output of this query:

USE [master];
    GO
    SELECT * from sysdatabases

Do any 'mystery' databases show up there?

BTW, have you applied the latest SQL Service Pack to fix any known bugs that might me causing problems?
    Microsoft SQL Server 2016 Service Pack 2 (SP2)

HTH,  

Phil Streiff, MCDBA, MCITP, MCSA

Well first things first, I'm an idiot... I thought we were running SQL 2016 but in fact we're running 2017.  14.0.3076.1 to be specific, which appears to be the latest.

The message appears in logs, and I've also got it set up to email me various alerts, and I receive severity 23 alerts when this happens (once or twice a day).

SELECT * FROM sysdatabases does not return anything weird, the databases are sequentially numbered from 1 to 35 and I don't see anything unexpected in the list.

Monday, April 22, 2019 11:18 AM
  • share result in error log,event log, what is storage type ? make sure that there lasted service packs.

select @@version

It is local disk or remote disk, if dedicate storage team then check for storage logs.

If local disk is there then take help of windows team.

select * from msdb.dbo.suspect_pages

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/37872.sql-server-installation-on-centos-linux.aspx

SELECT @@version returns "Microsoft SQL Server 2017 (RTM-CU14) (KB4484710) - 14.0.3076.1 (X64)   Mar 12 2019 19:29:19   Copyright (C) 2017 Microsoft Corporation  Standard Edition (64-bit) on Windows Server 2016 Standard 10.0 <X64> (Build 14393: ) (Hypervisor) "

SELECT * FROM msdb.dbo.suspect_pages returns one page in a database I already knew has a problem.  It's a restored known-bad database I was using to try and reconstruct data we lost in in the power outage.  I suppose since the restoration effort is complete, I probably should delete that database... I'll do that and see if it has any effect on this problem.

Monday, April 22, 2019 11:21 AM
  • What about the suspect_pages row return?

Monday, April 22, 2019 4:21 PM
  • I've removed the database that was known to have an issue, and now SELECT * FROM msdb.dbo.suspect_pages returns nothing.

I guess maybe the next step is just wait and see if I get any more of those errors.  I haven't found a way to "trigger" the errors... they seem to just pop up randomly.

Monday, April 22, 2019 4:35 PM
  • A really really wild guess: A database snapshot? I'm too short on time now to create such, but perhaps these gets very high db id? 

Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP (Web Blog)

Tuesday, April 23, 2019 10:58 AM
  • Good idea, but we're not using snapshots.

But I have my fingers crossed... I deleted the one database I knew had a problem, and have not gotten an error in almost 48 hours.  So maybe the error was legitimate, it was just reporting the database ID wrong.

• Edited by elaw Tuesday, April 23, 2019 11:04 AM
    • Proposed as answer by NALUTO Thursday, April 25, 2019 8:44 AM
    Tuesday, April 23, 2019 11:03 AM