none
Excel AddIn deployed with ClickOnce - Not getting ClickOnce Trust Prompt RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have a VSTO Excel Add-In deployed with ClickOnce over the Internet. It is signed with a valid Code Signing Certificate. When a user tries to install it I get

"Customized functionality in this application will not work because the certificate used to sign the deployment manifest for APPLICATION or its location is not trusted. Contact your administrator for further assistance."

I'm getting a little confused with all the documentation about this and all the differences between regular ClickOnce and VSTO ClickOnce (my regular ClickOnce application works fine, by the way), but according to this MSDN page, the trusted location check "applies only to document-level solutions."

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that an "Excel 2007 Add-in" project was a application-level solution. So shouldn't that check be skipped? I feel like I should see a Trust Prompt instead of being completely denied.

Is there something I forgot to consider?

Thanks

Tuesday, August 21, 2012 8:29 PM

Answers

• I'm downloading it from a remote machine. If I copy the files to my local machine I get a trust prompt with "Unknown Publisher" which is not normal either.

After a bit of investigation, I found out that my <publisheridentity> wasn't the same as the certificate's identity (I resign with Mage in my deployment process). I was using mage from the Windows SDK v6.0. I updated the SDK and used the .NET 4 version of Mage and it fixed the problem.

The deployment now works as expected, with a trust prompt when the application is downloaded from the internet. Thanks, your question put me on the right track.

• Marked as answer by DCTPT Wednesday, August 29, 2012 5:13 PM
    Wednesday, August 29, 2012 5:12 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for posting in the MSDN Forum.

Based on your issue, I would recommand you a  thread which directs how to resolve the similar problem of CilckOnce installation. Please refer to

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/eu/vsto/thread/92458202-4370-4bac-b530-fc7acf458a4e

Also, there is an article in relation to deploying solution for VSTO with ClickOnce provided for you. Hope it helps.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb821233.aspx

Best Regards,

Leo_Gao [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Thursday, August 23, 2012 1:45 AM
  • Hi, thanks for the reply.

In that other thread the poster doesn't have authenticode signing, but I do. I have signed with a certificate purchased from a trusted CA. Based on what I've read, I thought that this should be enough to at least get a trust prompt in the Internet zone. If I have to go through a bunch of manual steps to deploy the application to clients (that I can't even reach, in my business context), why bother signing in the first place?

• Edited by DCTPT Friday, August 24, 2012 5:25 PM
    Thursday, August 23, 2012 12:15 PM
  • Can anyone tell me if I'm right to think that my Authenticode Signed application should have a trust prompt instead of being completely blocked over the internet?

I'd like to know if the problem lies in the comprehension of how the deployment is supposed to work or if it's something else.

Thanks

Tuesday, August 28, 2012 6:35 PM
  • I'm wondering, how are you deploying this add-in? Are you connected to a remote machine or remote share and then double clicking the VSTO file?

If this is the way you are doing it, try copying the deployment files to the local machine and then reinstall. Does this solve the problem?

Will Buffington
    Microsoft Excel Support

Tuesday, August 28, 2012 10:08 PM
  • I'm downloading it from a remote machine. If I copy the files to my local machine I get a trust prompt with "Unknown Publisher" which is not normal either.

After a bit of investigation, I found out that my <publisheridentity> wasn't the same as the certificate's identity (I resign with Mage in my deployment process). I was using mage from the Windows SDK v6.0. I updated the SDK and used the .NET 4 version of Mage and it fixed the problem.

The deployment now works as expected, with a trust prompt when the application is downloaded from the internet. Thanks, your question put me on the right track.

• Marked as answer by DCTPT Wednesday, August 29, 2012 5:13 PM
    Wednesday, August 29, 2012 5:12 PM